Which booster with a Superfuzz?

Started by Canucker, October 29, 2012, 11:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

just finished my superfuzz after two efforts and a million hours....so I'm gonna put it in the nice box I have.....its to big for the small box and a little small for the big box....so I wanted to use up the extra space with a booster....any suggestions for one that works well with the superfuzz? or other ideas?

pinkjimiphoton

if the superfuzz is right, you probably don't need a booster.

that said, it's not gonna mess with the tone too much no matter what booster you use. a super fuzz will tend to sound like a superfuzz, louder.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

R.G.

In fact, a booster might not do much to a superfuzz. There's a place in the superfuzz where the signal, either octave doubled or not, is fed to back-to-back diodes to ground. Once you get more than maybe +/-0.8V (if you use silicon, or 0.5V if you use the original germanium) it won't change much if the signal feeding it doesn't have a DC shift on it. A square wave of any size sounds like a square wave, tonally.

Overloading the input amplifier an/or octave section might get you some signal perversities in the face of big overdrives, but that will probably produce more gating than audible overdrive. And it will make for more audible noise.

Like every musical, test it. But a booster in front of a Superfuzz may not be all that great.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Canucker

maybe i'll just keep it simple and do this. Thanks for the advice!

pinkjimiphoton

that can be good for rhythm/lead...
the superfuzz is pretty much impervious to volume knobs on your guitar.

if ya DO get crazy tho, check out tim escobedo's phunqgnosis..  a small envelope follower (auto wah) you could stuff in there that you may really like...mine loves having a superfuzz drive it. or before it. just a matter of taste! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Canucker

That sounds like a decent future project. Don't have the parts on hand for that and it always takes some effort for me to get stuff. I'm not a big wah guy but that made me think I have to try my superfuzz in combo with the Kay Tremolo I built a little while ago. It may be time to box up some of my faves as multi effects unit.

Derringer

Quote from: R.G. on October 30, 2012, 05:43:00 PM
In fact, a booster might not do much to a superfuzz. There's a place in the superfuzz where the signal, either octave doubled or not, is fed to back-to-back diodes to ground. Once you get more than maybe +/-0.8V (if you use silicon, or 0.5V if you use the original germanium) it won't change much if the signal feeding it doesn't have a DC shift on it. A square wave of any size sounds like a square wave, tonally.

Overloading the input amplifier an/or octave section might get you some signal perversities in the face of big overdrives, but that will probably produce more gating than audible overdrive. And it will make for more audible noise.

Like every musical, test it. But a booster in front of a Superfuzz may not be all that great.

and I'd agree with this statement as well
in practice, my superfuzz pitches better than it catches ;D
I think a booster AFTER the superfuzz would work best ... the superfuzz does a great job overdriving other fuzzes/distortions etc into hugely sustained octave goodness

pinkjimiphoton

derringer!!
welcome back, bud!
glad to see the gatekeepers finally let ya thru again!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr