Way Huge Swollen Pickle (newer version?) schematic

Started by eddhall, October 31, 2012, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddhall

Hello all,

Before I get told off for not searching beforehand, I have done so, and haven't been able to find what I am looking for, or at least an explanation of the differences...

I am looking for a schematic of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.  There are a load around, but they all seem to be 2/3 pot versions, I am looking for the one with 5 pots on the outside, with 2 internal trim pots, does anyone have a schematic, or at least an explanation of what each extra pot changes in the circuit?

Thanks

digi2t

No garantees expressed or implied. There is an unverified vero of it as well;

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Bill Mountain

Those biasing resistors look off in the schematic.

Chewbakka

Quote from: Bill Mountain on October 31, 2012, 11:16:44 AM
Those biasing resistors look off in the schematic.

Yup - The biasing resistors R6, R8, R21, R26, need to be 100 K
R11, R16, R18, R27 need to be 470k (actually 475k if you can find any)

Works just fine with those values.
Scoop has a better range if you use a 25k pot.
Also try red LED instead of the clear blue LED in the LED clipping section - but that may just be my taste.

Thanks for the schematics.

Sasquach

First post.
Sorry to dredge up and old post but I'm building a SP MKII and trying to find a vero layout.  I have it breadboared and it seems to work.  Has this vero been verified?  Seems to me there is a missing cut under the "R" in R26.  Otherwise R24 and C19 are connected to the emmiter of Q1.

Thanks
"Just because I'm from the south don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

Sasquach

Never mind.  After I found a few problems with this I did my own layout with VeeCAD. 
"Just because I'm from the south don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

akalabeth

I found this topic and start to trace the Vero Layout with the schematics and there is indeed some errors.
I tried to make my own layout on Eagle as Sasquach didn't share his version, but since it was my first try and as you can see it is not pretty.

The schematics follow the original schematic posted by digi2t with the changes in resistors by Chewbakka (R6, R8, R21, R26, R11, R16, R18 and R27)

Transfer
Eagle CAD's board and schematic files

If someone help me to improve it will be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

duck_arse

can I ask: why use standing resistors? why are your pots in two alignments? why are your pots overlapping? are you doing the pots on-board or off-board?

I'd say unless you have size restraints on your board, lay flat your resistors and straighten as many of those traces as you can, first off.
don't make me draw another line.

akalabeth

As I said, it was my first ever layout.

I'm using adafruit R-US 0207/5V. I didn't know that this one was the standing resistor. I thought that the 0207/2V ones are standing.

For the pots I consider to make them offboard since I'm using 7 pots.
I'm also using 3 jumpers :/

duck_arse

for a first try, it's not so bad.

in the standard eagle "rcl.lbr", the 0207/7 may be more what you want. I haven't done a board layout for a long time, so I'm not sure just how big this footprint actually is. 3 jumpers is not the end of the world, and may sort itself out with under-resistor running room.

if using off-board pots, I'd use a 9mm or 14mm pot outline (I cheat a lot in these sort of things - will use 3 pin header pads sometimes) and move them all to the edge, in line.

akalabeth

Second try with the duck_arse tips. It one of the most "boring-fun" things I ever did and a great new experience for me.

For anyone:
Transfer
Board, schem and transfer

I will try to reduce the board further but in my opinion it is usable. I am without a printer here to have an idea of the actual size.

duck_arse

you tricker! the second board is the same as the first, from what I find in the zip files.

akalabeth

Really?! try to remove the files from the other board(at last the .pro and eagle.epf) because I am able to open the files from the zip.

duck_arse

ok - I see now there is changes afoot. I will peruse it more closely overnight, do you wish a full report or are you happy with, now 0 links?

akalabeth

@duck_arse

Oh, thanks  for your time :)
For my use I'm happy with the size. But since we are in a community and this pcb isn't available I want to share it.
I feel like I had squeeze everything in the half left and now there is some unused space.

duck_arse

well, it shows just how long since I used "board" in eagle.

there were some errors, but they will probably show when you do your reworks. I spent some while ripping up tracks, shifting components into line w/ each other, then laying tracks. and ratsnest! rip-up and ratsnets as often as you can. and shove and turn and align.

try and line your parts up to remove as many kinks in the traces as you can. also, rip up all your grounds, and try a "pour". (I think that's the term.) that might fixxe a few tricks.

but basically, it's a matter of edit, edit, edit and edit. [pm me if you want me to send you my part-fiddled file.]

akalabeth

@duck_arse

Thanks again for your time :)

I ripup every single component and reconnect them all. Found two crossing tracks.

Eagle Swollen Pickle rev1

You said that's some long time you didn't use Eagle, do you have any other software (preferably free for hobbyist) to recommend?

As a first schematic and board it turned out to be a great learning experience for me.

duck_arse

no - no other software, it's all I've ever used. others can recommend, but not me.

I spent a few hours on your files today. I half redid your circuit diagram, then half redid your board layout. there are a few strange things appearing on the board I don't know what they are, or how to remove them. same with the circuit. I've got a zip file here if you want to see.

I'll see what you've done.

[edit :] wow! that's a huge improvement. there is still a rubber wire on the top left cap.
some points: if your pad size is the same as your track width, it'll be harder to see where to drill, and harder to solder, as the tracks will wick-away your heat.
you probably should change your ground symbol on the circuit, cause it puts that odd via thing on the board, to no useful purpose. it's one of the changes I made to your schem
and I changed the input/output/+9V/0V board connections to "wire pads". they are just pads, no strange vias included.
(we need to discuss your circuit diagramming.)