Vero Layout for Stage Center Reverb

Started by tfletchii, November 01, 2012, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfletchii

Just put this vero layout together and was hoping to have some of yall look it over for any possible errors before I try to put it together. I've only done one vero layout before so this is still new to me. R3 and R5 share j12 which is less than desirable but that is how it turned out. I'm going to put a charge pump together to power it. Also, if you have any ideas for improvement on the circuit I'd love to hear them. I'm excited about putting a real spring reverb pedal type thing together. I haven't seen any DIY types around so I thought I'd share this and see what develops.

tfletchii

Here's an updated vero. I left a resistor off and had a cut that shouldn't be. Anyone see any problems? Thanks for the help

bluebunny

Not checked the whole thing, but two things stand out: your V+ and V- pins on the 074 are shorted out (pins 4 and 11), and the + inputs for the top two opamps are unconnected (pins 3 and 12).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

tfletchii

Thanks Mark. I'm still getting used to using DIY Layout and I had those moves on the first layout and when I redid it I carelessly forgot them.

How about this one?

bluebunny

Those power and ground connections look OK now.  But you seem to have C5 go to Dwell 1 (and R1) rather than Mix.  Conversely, you have C6 go to Mix 3 rather than Dwell.  And your Dwell 2 and Mix 2 connections are swapped too.  This then confuses the area below IC1 C in the schematic.  I think you've basically got your two controls confused a little.

Have a strong coffee and/or a brisk walk in the fresh air - then you'll be all set to disentangle your pots.  Other than that, it looks pretty much there!
  • SUPPORTER

tfletchii

I was a little confused by this because, if I'm seeing it right, the GGG PCB layout is as I have it in the vero but the schematic is as you say. Am  I reading this wrong (PCB layout link below) or what. I guess I can take a swing at one and if it's incorrect then I'll switch it around.

But doesn't even matter since the dwell and mix knob or both 50k pot's. Shouldn't I just be able to switch the names? Or should a take a walk while having a cup of coffee?

thanks again Mark. I really appreciate the your help and time.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sc_reverb_lo3.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

bluebunny

I see what you mean about the confusing documentation.  I guess you have to go with the schematic (i.e. assume it's correct) and build your layout from that.  (It's what I'd do.)  Simply renaming the two pots isn't enough.  Enjoy the coffee.  Don't spill it while you walk.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

tfletchii

Just saw this, that the original pinout on the schematic was for a 4136 while the layout is for a Tl074. There pinouts are different. This may explain things or not. I haven't looked at things to see if this matters but thought I'd put this out here and see what you think. I also emailed GGG to see if they have an answer.

tfletchii

Hey Mark

Would your voltage converter work for powering this. The SCR needs a -9 and +9 lines. If I'm following things right I should be able to obviously get the -9 from the bottom row of  your vero and shouldn't I be able to get the +9 from the top row on the boards right said as well?

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/05/negative-voltage-inverter.html

bluebunny

I think you're confusing me (Marc) with IvIark, who posted the blog you refer to... 

Anyway, whether or not the voltage inverter circuit would work OK depends on the current consumption from the -9V supply.  Unfortunately, I can't help you there...   :icon_confused:
  • SUPPORTER

tfletchii

Thanks Marc,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I had a discussion with IvIark on his blog about the SCR and mistakenly figured you were one in the same. Thanks again for checking in on my progress. I'd appreciate your continued help. I hope to get everything straightened out by the weekend and start the build next week.

tfletchii

I put this thing together over the weekend based off the layout above and everything works but the reverb. Which is kinda the point of making it.

Works in bypass. Works when engaged. When the pedal is on it boost the volume noticeably and when I hit the tank I hear the spring "boing" but faintly. Also, the dwell and mix controls do nothing. I'm guessing, as Marc suggested, the pcb layout was wrong and the schematic is right. I'm confused by all of this because it seems like people have used the pcbs and gotten working projects and I've checked the pcb images of completed and working units against my vero layout and they are the same.

Anyway I'll post a revised layout following the schematic and if no one sees any issues I'll give it another go.

thanks again

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

tfletchii

Got everything working below is the verified vero layout. I'll delete any of the others to avoid any confusion for anyone in the future.

VERIFIED...

bluebunny

Cool!  Glad it all worked out in the end!  (And now you've piqued my interest a little, I may have to build it myself...)
  • SUPPORTER

tfletchii

A few suggestions for anyone who might build this.

Here is a link to a negative voltage converter you can use to get the -9 and +9 power rails you need. Just grab the +9 from the top right of the vero.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/05/negative-voltage-inverter.html

A good but pricey case would be the hammond part# 1441-16
Don't forget to get the bottom of the case which is sold seperately Hammond part #1434-16.

This case only works if you use a smaller 9" spring tank.

I used a MOD 8DB2C1D medium decay spring tank but any with an input impedance of 310ohm will work

tfletchii

Thanks again Marc for your help. I'm going to work on improving it some. It's a little noisy when you crank it up to some more intense reverb sounds and the volume could be matched a little better with the bypass signal. When you engage the reverb it is a little louder. Not so sure to do about the noise because I think it is going to be unavoidable with the signal going through the tl074.

tfletchii

I'm thinking if I adjust R5 that will fix my problem with the unity gain when the mix control is set to full on dry. Does that sound right?

kinski

This looks amazing. I've got an amp that NEEDS spring reverb!

One question though. I'd like to install this into the back of my amp and then forget about it. Would there be a way to power the reverb using the amps power? It would be great if I did not have to power the reverb separately from the amp.

Possible?

guntherbuffalo

Hi,

Thanks for doing this. I am gonna have a go with the same tank as you, but maybe with 3 springs. Before I try this, did you manage to sort out that unity gain problem or make any other modifications?

Also, on your diagram I cannot see how to connect up the switch to switch between reverb and bypass, and the LED. Maybe you have put that on there and I am being a noob (This will be only my 3rd DIY!), but if you could just clarify that would be great.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to try it out. Are you pleased with the sound?