I Found a way to 'soften pops' with my photofet bypass looper. Please scrutinize

Started by kimelopidaer, November 04, 2012, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimelopidaer

Hi DIY.
A while back I posted about a photofet bypass looper that I was playing with on my breadboard.
I wasn't able to post any visuals at the time. Basically I am switching the photofets on or off alternately using transistors as switches.
I know from reading around that people use an IC to do this switching as well.

So the diagram below worked basically, but I was still having problems with the switching noise. I found that inserting a capacitor from the base of the switching transistor to ground 'softened the pop' to an acceptable degree.

Regarding the addition of these capacitors to the switch network: Am I overlooking any potential problems that this could cause?
If I make the value of the cap too high, then there is an audible mute when switching. Otherwise, it's worked fine on the breadboard for the last couple of weeks.

The values for the photofet LED resistance, and the transistor biasing values, I gathered from reading Mr. R.G. Keen's articles for a DIY microphone muter using photofets.

Alright, thankyou and take care
K

PRR

• SUPPORTER