Orange Squeezer has popcorn sounds/noise

Started by RCZ53, November 01, 2012, 08:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCZ53

I just built a GGG PCB Orange Squeezer with parts I bought back in 2003. everything works as it should however there is a soft popping or sputtering sound in the background when compressor is on. Any ideas as the source ? I suspect one of the JFETS but don't know for sure. The jrc4558d is socketed so I will start with that. Unfortunately no sockets on the JFETS. Any one have experience with this sort of thing? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks all.

Kesh

If it's what I think it is, then I believe that's just the sound they make. Adjust the trim and it will change in frequency from splutter to a gurgle to a hiss. If you trim it away completely you will also likely lose the compression.

If anyone knows a solution to this I would love to know. I have asked before, but to no avail.

R O Tiree

Could be dodgy caps if they also date from 2003?  They do have a shelf life even if not connected to anything, but it's least likely.

This circuit does make weird noises if it's badly biased.  Actually, if you trim the noise away you'll get the best performance from this circuit.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

midwayfair

Quote from: R O Tiree on November 02, 2012, 04:43:36 AM
Could be dodgy caps if they also date from 2003?  They do have a shelf life even if not connected to anything, but it's least likely.

This circuit does make weird noises if it's badly biased.  Actually, if you trim the noise away you'll get the best performance from this circuit.

I'll add here that increasing the power filter to 100uF or larger makes a very small difference at the lowest "good" biasing range, but not enough to make me think it's a power filtering issue. I've made a couple that didn't pop even when biased low, but I couldn't tell you what in particular made the difference since I can't seem to bring myself to build one of these things without changing multiple parts values.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Kesh

If some splutter and some don't, as seems, the chief suspect has to be the huge variability in any particular line of jfets.

paulyy

I had the same issue wth this circuit. I used madbeans "cupcake" layout. I notice that the noise went away I pluged it in to my boss NS. I took the boss NS out of the cain and the noise back. I'm wondering if a buffer might help this issue. Hope this helps.

RCZ53

Well my replacement parts came in and I replaced the JRC4558D, seems that was the culprit!
Thanks to all that responded.