Treble Trouble GGG ftm clone

Started by petey twofinger, November 09, 2012, 04:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

the paint job i did for this build took forever , the actual build was a cakewalk , hats off to ggg for such excellent kits and documentation .  at this point i find that it is way too trebly , also  i really only WANT to use the octave , but the ability to utilize the fuz would be a huge plus . i do own a french toast and it is also a lil bright but my ggg ftm is unusable atm . everything functions fine , but it is an ear piercer atm .

the guitar i am using is a fernandes sustainer so it has a 9 volt with active hum bucker pick ups , even with the tone rolled all the way back , the wah healed back the tone is way too hi endy despite the fact that the tone knob is working well . i really want to use this octave with this guitar , i want to be able to go from a clean tone to the octave and have it sound nice .

i read that no two of these sound the same , mine is just shrill city , no bottom , even when i roll back the tone and switch to the neck . which honestly i think i should be using the bridge pick up cause the solo uses the sustainer ... what a conundrum .

i saw some folks had moded out the ftm to ultimate octave ( fulltone or joyo ? fulltone i hope ... lol ) specs .

i am curious , are these the mods i am looking for ?

i invested an incredible amount of time into this build , i would love to be able to use this thing  but honestly , my home made fuzz just kills it atm . i seem to remember trying this with single coils and it was very very shrill , so i am inclined to think i am going to have to pull off some mods here .

any point in the right direction would be mucho gratias

thanks in advance .  :)

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

petey twofinger

i cut a .047 uf mylar cap in parallel with the tone cap c10 . at this point its tamed quite a bit , perhaps too much , i could try replacing it with the next lower value and so on .

thing is i have read comflicting reports on this pedal . some folks claim to have built it , and it is not treble-y at all , mine was just rediculous , unusable .

i do have a french toast , even that is tamer ... but i think the ggg ftm has a smoother more " natural" octave going on .

i went through and checked all the transistor voltages today , my power supply was at 9 volts , not 9.26 , but all the voltages were very close to what they should be .

i am wondering if the diodes arent matched , but thing is , the octave is very distinct .

i looked around online and other suggestions include cutting in a bmp style tone in place of the stock tone stack . has anyone de-trebled an ftm sucessfully ? I WOULD LIKE TO RETAIN AS MUCH OF ITS USUAL CHARACTERISTICS < JUST MAKE IT FULLER < MORE BOTTOM END < LESS SCREECHIE > . shift key stuck  :icon_redface:

i saw that mark hammer had mentioned adding a cap to where the diodes sit . i would love to try this , instead of just adding a cap to the tone pot , or maybe a lil of both but i am not sure where to cut the capacitor in ...

other suggestions include cutting in a bmp style tone in place of the stock tone stack . has anyone de-trebled an ftm sucessfully ? I WOULD LIKE TO RETAIN AS MUCH OF ITS USUAL CHARACTERISTICS < JUST MAKE IT FULLER < MORE BOTTOM END < LESS SCREECHIE > . shift key stuck  :icon_redface:
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself