New Circuit - Diederich Electronics Onyx Wall of Sound Distortion Lo-Fi Fuzz

Started by timd, November 10, 2012, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

Quote from: timd on November 10, 2012, 11:49:40 PM
If anyone is interested, I can post a schematic. Sustain for days.

I like the sound and i'm really interested, you can post the schematic?
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

Crontox102098

Quote from: timd on November 11, 2012, 12:17:02 AM
Sure - the schematic is at my house, and I'll be there tomorrow.

I speak spanish, and i don't understand  rigth your reply :s
I'm Carlos.

Crontox102098

I'm Carlos.

Crontox102098

Quote from: timd on November 11, 2012, 10:43:43 AM
Here it is:

Tanks man, i like the sound of this effects, and its very simple, i can place  a potentiometer between pin 1 and pin 8?
I'm Carlos.

kingswayguitar

gotta try it. love the sound. what about single notes? i'm also curious to try a jfet in front a la "grace".

LaceSensor

sounds pretty trashy to me.
There isnt much in the way of saturation and I wasnt really hearing the sustain.
Thanks for posting however,  interesting to see such a low parts count.

Crontox102098

I'm Carlos.

timd

You could probably put a pot between pins 1 and 8, but it would have to be a really low value - maybe 1 - 5k? Also, on my build I have found that the sustain is really good.

LaceSensor

if you want a fuzz / distortion with days of sustain check out something like the ROland Bee baa or its derivatives.

timd

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 11, 2012, 04:12:24 PM
sounds pretty trashy to me.
There isnt much in the way of saturation and I wasnt really hearing the sustain.
Thanks for posting however,  interesting to see such a low parts count.
This effect sure isn't for everyone. It won't take the place of your regular distortion or fuzz, but I tried this out at my band practice, and we wrote a song with it. I've been tinkering with my own circuits a lot lately, and most of them happen to be low parts count - easy for any level of DIY'er to attempt.

Humboldts Finest

May I ask how you come up with these simple gems? Trial and error or mad genius skills or??

timd

Quote from: Humboldts Finest on November 12, 2012, 02:21:08 PM
May I ask how you come up with these simple gems? Trial and error or mad genius skills or??

Gems - that's very nice - thanks.

I wish I could tell you it was this or that, but the real truth is I have a weird sense of what sounds "good" and I have spent hours with breadboards. ]
The Onyx for instance - I have been messing around with the 386 for some time now and printed the datasheets, etc. I knew that pin 5 was the output and 6 was 9V+. From there, I just started screwing around with components and connections till I got something that I liked. Pin 3 is usually my input. Why not pin 2? Pin 7 is bypass and usually is grounded. Not anymore.
Thinking outside the box will give you something new to box!

timd

If anyone has built the Onxy - try it with another distortion or fuzz. It makes for a really thick sound.