What build for a little practice bass amplifier?

Started by hugcd, November 12, 2012, 10:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugcd

Hi to everybody!

I am new here and I just wanted first to thank everybody for the amazing stuff on this forum, specially to Jasonmatthew911 and bdevlin for their help. And I apologize in advance for any mistake since I am a newbie on electronics.

I have been thinking for a while to build a mini practice amplifier for bass that I could carry with me and that I could plug some headphones. Here are the goals/requirements that I would like to achieve with the little amp:

REQUIREMENTS

-Have a volume and a tone pot.

-Optimized for bass guitar frequencies & no gain or overdrive.

-Headphone output and speaker output.

-Battery and dc operated.

-To be able to fit on a 1590B enclosure.

-To achieve the less distortion possible

So considering all this next thing is deciding what build I should go for. I have found quite a few here and since I have never seen or heard them used on an electric bass I wonder which one would be best:

POSSIBLE BUILDS

-Ruby or Dual Ruby with Bassman mod (LM386 based)

-Noise cricket (LM386 based)

-LM380 based circuit

-Tiny Giant from Music PCB (TDA7240A, LM338T, TL072)

Needs 12v power supply, not sure if 6 AA lithium batteris would work.

-Li'l Bastard?

I am open to suggestions and considerations. I am on the early stage of this project so sorry if its boring for some people or if this has been asked before, I just feel that the majority of stuff is always focused on guitars and there is so little for basses so i am having a hard time deciding what to do.

All the best to everybody!

gafamp

hello everybody I just built the lm386 amp ok but not much power I added the push pull circuit lot more power.
I used zenith power transistor kit 800-362 1npn&1pnp I have tons of zenith parts tried to sell no bites so I said I guess i'll build some guitar amps
any body interested message me at afischetti46@hotmail.com thanks