What is h21e? Is it gain? (RE: Transistors)

Started by chromesphere, November 13, 2012, 04:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi everyone,
Been seeing parameters in datasheets for transistors "h21E" and "h21E Range".  The ranges given look like HFE ranges.  50-150 for example.  Just wondering, is h21E the same as HFE?
Thanks for any help!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

drolo

Hi Paul,

Not too many useful info when googling. I found some german technical document documenting h21e as "differentieller StromverstÀrkungsfaktor" (something like differential current amplification factor) so i think it might well be hfe. Probably a term that is not used much any more. Someone with more experience, who has been around when transistors were new might have better info though ...

chromesphere

Thanks for the info Drolo! Yep, i cant find an explanation for what i means yet either.  No answer on google...which is...impossible isnt it?  :icon_eek:

Edit: Correction, google does come up with a result.  This thread :)  Wow, google works fast these days!

So far ive seen it with some Russian germaniums but also the AC125 datasheet, which is written in English obviously, which makes it more of a mystery...i thought that h21E might be a Russian way of saying Hfe but obviously not!

That said, it probably just another way of saying Hfe though..

Paul

Kesh

Yeah it's same as Hfe. The 2 and the 1 stand for terminal 2 and terminal 1 of a transistor in the Hybrid Pi model (where the H comes from in Hfe). That's collector and base. So it's the current multiple between them, which is what Hfe is.

chromesphere

Nice one Kesh, thanks for the confirmation!
Paul

jozef

Was looking for the same and found this German document explaining transistors http://www.et-inf.fho-emden.de/~elmalab/bauelement/download/BdE_7.pdf

From mentioned document:

h11e = rBE = ΔUBE/ΔIBE assuming constant UCE
h12e = D = ΔUBE/ΔUCE assuming constant IB
h21e = beta = ΔIC/ΔIB assuming constant UCE
h22e = 1/rCE = ΔIC/ΔUCE assuming constant IB