Dual Gang VS. "Blend" Pots

Started by Harry, September 06, 2005, 12:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

so i just ordered some dual gang pots only to find out that i actually needed blend pots. first, would the dual gang pot cut the volume in half at center position, if for instance i was using it as a pickup selector? if it would (as i'm beginning to think) could i remove the canister and scrape away half the carbon from each side without busting it?

MartyMart

"Blend" meaning "zero" centre and increase either side ?
You could use your dual pot and wire one half in reverse.... :D   so ...
as one side turns "up" the other side turns "down" should get you to
where you want ... no ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Harry

that was my original plan. however, let's say the pot is 500k at center position it's resistance is 250k so this would reduce the volume, right? well, from what this site: Stew-mac Blend Pots (at the bottom) says their blend pots are dual ganged one channel has 0 resistance until it reaches the halfway point then the resistance starts to increase, the other channel is the inverse of that starting with max resistance and decreasing until it reaches the half-way mark. so the point is that there is no resistance in the middle so both pickups can play unrestricted.

Tubebass

I read a piece by Craig Anderton once, think it might have been in Guitar Player, where he discussed using dual gang pots as pickup blend pots on guitars. Basically, each gang is wired as a volume pot for one pickup, only one will be wired backwards so that as one pickup is turned up, the other is turned down. This works, but has a downside, as mentioned, of cutting the level in half when the pot is in the "middle" position (both pickups on equally). Craig's solution to this was to add a resistor from each gang's wiper to its "hot"end, the resistor's value being about 20% of the pot's value. I actually installed this setup in one of my basses, and it worked well.
    Hope this helps!
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

Harry

Wow thanks man that's like the answer I was looking for.