MAGNUS MODULUS - PROJECT - Another PT2399 Echo Modulator/Chorus/Tremolo/Boost

Started by ForcedFire, November 29, 2008, 12:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForcedFire

I've been working on a new DIY project the last few weeks and finally got my build finished and verified today. It feels so good to have this thing done and running smoothly. Anyways, here's my stab at the whole thing:

The PCBs will be for sale soon. I am not making them myself so they won't look like the one in my build. I just have to talk with the person who's making them to figure out the price. More details on the PCB's to follow.

Here is my build:

I fit the whole thing, 8 pots, 2 footswitches, 2 toggles, 3 LEDs, input, output, and DC in all on the lid of a 1590BB.

If anyone's able to build one, I'd love to hear what you think.

sean k

Very,very Nice! Congratulations on what looks like a very adaptable pedal and cheers for giving out all the info in what could only be described as... detailed. Make them up as a kit with a pre drilled box and I think you'd do very well out of it. I'm looking forward to trying to design my own board, cause thats what I do, even though it'll be double, if not triple the size of yours.  :icon_biggrin:
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

zyxwyvu

That looks awesome!

Any chance of sound clips? I'm quite curious as to how the delay modulation setup sounds, as well as the tremolo.

Auke Haarsma

Thanks for sharing this well documented project!

I can't wait to hear the soundsamples.

frequencycentral

That looks an amazing and very well documented piece of work. Well done.

It's so superb that people are willing to share their hard work on this forum fo the benefit of others.  :icon_wink:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

shadowmaster

This one just reminded me to prioritize building a Trem Lune LFO module that I can experiment to stick to any other circuits possible.

Nice work ForcedFire!

+1 again to my growing build list.

doug deeper

looks good!  :)

may i suggest add the lunes wave shaping knob to the lfo.
to me thats the coolest part of that circuit!
a ramp settings would be pretty neat with this circuit!

slacker

Marc.yo

hella awesome dude.

i love my modulatable delay thats on my stereo memory man...its so useful for adding that extra little....whoa!

delay is my favorite effect....if you wanna hear a work i did solely using the memory man with hazarai you can go here

ForcedFire

Thanks everyone!

I started doing the sound samples last night but my recording setup wasn't really working out. I'll try to mic my Twin Reverb, I don't have a proper mic though. Maybe I'll just get some quick samples on my MP3 player.

The waveshaping mods sound cool. If I ever build another one it'll be in a bigger box  :icon_lol: then I can more stuff... :icon_wink:

ForcedFire

cpnyc23

Very impressive!  I think I might have to place a new parts order!

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

Zben3129

:o :o :o

Great work. Definitely going to build/breadboard this week.

Zach

Thomeeque

Quote from: ForcedFire on November 29, 2008, 12:31:42 AM
I've been working on a new DIY project the last few weeks and finally got my build finished and verified today..

Hi!

Maybe you have not reinvented wheel, but your way how to modulate PT239x VCO is pretty innovative, all I've seen up to now was always some kind of variable "resistor". Veeery nice!

Thanks for sharing!
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

ForcedFire

Quote from: Thomeeque on November 29, 2008, 04:47:41 PM
Quote from: ForcedFire on November 29, 2008, 12:31:42 AM
I've been working on a new DIY project the last few weeks and finally got my build finished and verified today..

Hi!

Maybe you have not reinvented wheel, but your way how to modulate PT239x VCO is pretty innovative, all I've seen up to now was always some kind of variable "resistor". Veeery nice!

Thanks for sharing!

I read some long complicated post on some site talking about how you needed a current limiting circuit? Pin 6 just requires a resistor (probably another internal resistance to the supply to form a voltage divider) to set the voltage, you can just add a small AC voltage on top of this to vary the voltage around the nominal value to the voltage controlled oscillator. Pin 6 probably just connects to a CMOS FET connected capacitor that changes capacitance as the voltage to it changes, and that capacitor is what sets the frequency of the oscillator that controls the clock that controls the delay times.

I know the way I did it may look overly simple but the chorus modulation sounds really smooth, no problems at all.

slacker

Quote from: ForcedFire on November 29, 2008, 10:07:49 AM
Quote from: slacker on November 29, 2008, 08:32:11 AM
Nice work :)

Thanks Ian,

Didn't want to step on any toes, it was your idea in the first place!

Nathan

No need to worry about that. Apart from the delay tails there was really nothing original in the Echo Base, various people had already added LFOs to Rebotes and PT80s, all I did was put it all together in one package.

Like Thomas said I like the way you've modulated the PT2399 simple and effective judging by the excellent soundclip. I bet you can get some really weird sounds as well using the LFO square wave into the delay.

ForcedFire

Quote from: slacker on November 30, 2008, 06:35:10 AM

Like Thomas said I like the way you've modulated the PT2399 simple and effective judging by the excellent soundclip.

Thanks!

It was funny, I don't have a good microphone and tried all these setups with cheap mics and my MP3 player mic and it wasn't working out so as a last ditch effort I just plugged my guitar directly into my computer and it actually sounds pretty decent.  :icon_eek: