Yet another Pot taper Q!

Started by craigmillard, December 10, 2012, 04:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmillard

Hello all,

Im struggling with this for some reason!

I want to make a 10k s tapered pot but log-antilog not antilog-log? I used a 100k pot and put 5.6k resistors between each lug so 2 resistors. This give the antilog-log pot but i want the reverse, log-antilog (W taper maybe)?

how can it be achieved???

Please help all guru ones! :icon_lol:

Mark Hammer

I would think the most dependable way to do it is to use a dual-ganged linear 10k pot, and stick the appropriate parallel resistor in one section to make it log, the appropriate resistor to ake the other section anti-log, tie the appropriate outside lugs of each section together, use them as the wiper, and treat the entire thing as a log-anti-log 10k pot.

midwayfair

Quote from: craigmillard on December 10, 2012, 04:01:39 PM
how can it be achieved???

Hook the whole shebang up backward.

I think that's the only way it will work without the dual gang, at least that's what I get from reading Gusmarkov and RG Keen's articles.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

craigmillard

Surely doing it backwards would be the same? You mean just flipping the outside lugs?

Mark - can you explain a but more about using a dual gang? Not seen that before?? Are you tying both sections together?

Mark Hammer

I may have gotten this wrong, so yo may be best advised to ignore what I said.  I have to think about it some more.

But the basic point was that having three lugs to attach assorted parallel resistors to, and treating one from each section  as part of the wiper, would permit more flexibility in tailoring taper.

midwayfair

Quote from: craigmillard on December 10, 2012, 05:31:47 PM
You mean just flipping the outside lugs?

Yeah. The taper will be the same, but the pot will work backward.

Just like using a reverse taper backward, right?
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!