What pedal / electronics related present did you get for Xmas? :)

Started by chromesphere, December 24, 2012, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

I use #71 carbide bits that will break if you look at them sideways so i still use a Dremel drill press for PCB's, #71 covers everything i use but the larger diodes (1N400x) and pads for offboard wiring.

For drilling enclosures i attach a drilling template, centrepunch  the holes, drill pilot holes with a 1/16" bit, then use a 3/32", then a 1/8" and finally, where needed a quality stepbit with 1/32" steps, a pretty much torque free process so horror of horrors,  i just guide the enclosure on the drill press table by hand, no clamps, no jigs and of course... never try this at home kids.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Thecomedian

A DMM with all the settings of gain, diode/cap, auto/man/ ,beep, hold, range, in addition to the usual voltage amnd everything else. Pre bought but not used model from a relative so I can build my own pedals faster. also, a radio shack tool kit with all those screwdrivers and soldering tip and grabbing parts and an IC extractor.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

chromesphere

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 26, 2012, 07:12:55 AM
Wife got me a PEAK DCA 55 meter  ;D, a HUGE Swiss Army knife, some new blue jeans, and a 3 pound bag of Jelly Belly jelly beans  :icon_eek:

Im ready to build ANYHTING now...... and on a sugar rush too!  ;)

I was trying to decided between the DCA55, DCA75 (which i ended up thinking, is probably overkill) and the multimeter.  My old multimeter developing issues made the decision easier.

Havent had much time to play around with it, but so far it looks really nice.  Very quick response, fast latched continuity mode, min/max, rel, capacitance.  No temperature sensor though, but i havent had a use for that yet.  Could be occasionally handy for checking pc motherboard heatsinks though. oh well, everything with the meter has been great so far.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

Jdansti

Quote from: davent on December 26, 2012, 02:27:41 PM
I use #71 carbide bits that will break if you look at them sideways so i still use a Dremel drill press for PCB's, #71 covers everything i use but the larger diodes (1N400x) and pads for offboard wiring.

For drilling enclosures i attach a drilling template, centrepunch  the holes, drill pilot holes with a 1/16" bit, then use a 3/32", then a 1/8" and finally, where needed a quality stepbit with 1/32" steps, a pretty much torque free proess so horror of horrors,  i just guide the enclosure on the drill press table by hand, no clamps, no jigs and of course... never try this at home kids.

dave

I've like the Dremel press too, but everyone has their personal preferences.

I've found these Dremel chucks to make using the Dremel tool a whole lot easier in general.

I drill my enclosures by hand the same way, although I would prefer a real drill press for this. I've had to learn how to avoid getting whacked by the enclosure when the drill bit grabs it and spins it around. Now I just slow down and make short cuts with the drill as I get close to breaking through.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on December 26, 2012, 05:31:36 PM
I've like the Dremel press too, but everyone has their personal preferences.

I've found these Dremel chucks to make using the Dremel tool a whole lot easier in general.

I drill my enclosures by hand the same way, although I would prefer a real drill press for this. I've had to learn how to avoid getting whacked by the enclosure when the drill bit grabs it and spins it around. Now I just slow down and make short cuts with the drill as I get close to breaking through.

+1   I have one of those chucks on my dremel stylus. IMO the collet system is outdated and a PITA.

I LOVE my drill press. It's a monster with great precision. I use it for everything. Drilling enclosures and pcbs alike.

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

davent

I still use the collets for the carbide bits as i know the bit will seat true and there'll be no wobble and less breakage of those oh-so-fragile expensive little tools.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

deadastronaut

Quote from: Jdansti on December 26, 2012, 05:31:36 PM

I've had to learn how to avoid getting whacked by the enclosure when the drill bit grabs it and spins it around.

me too, ive had one get loose and fly across the room and shatter the side wall of the box ..sightly dangerous, and annoying, especially after etching the bugger.. ::)

ive developed a technique for hand drilling now, after centre punch/pilot holes,   i use hands and feet, and a real breadboard. i wedge the box inner onto the corner of the breadboard and stand on it while i drill....turn drill...flip ..drill...

its handy that i'm a fat @#$%er for this too..the weight helps. ;D

i wish i had the room for a drill press though.....hmmm one day. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: davent on December 26, 2012, 05:47:08 PM
I still use the collets for the carbide bits as i know the bit will seat true and there'll be no wobble and less breakage of those oh-so-fragile expensive little tools.

dave

Good point, I didn't think about that.

I'm going to get some carbide bits soon so that's really good to know ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Mustachio

I got a Dremel 3000 and a 248 piece accessories kit and a Dremel Multi-Vise ! Woot :D

Been needing a dremel to polish frets! And all the tons of small jobs that don't work well on the big drill press :D

Gotta get one of those extender pen tube joby's for the Dremel !
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

chromesphere

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 26, 2012, 06:40:34 PM
i use hands and feet, and a real breadboard. i wedge the box inner onto the corner of the breadboard and stand on it while i drill....turn drill...flip ..drill...

Rob i would like to see a video of this please :) lol

Nice Mustachio!  I've never had a dremel before but its definitely a tool on my wish list!

Paul

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 12:53:12 AM
I've never had a dremel before but its definitely a tool on my wish list!

Wow, Really? A pedal maker that has never owned a dremel?    Stop whatever you are doing right now and go get one.

I couldn't live without mine :icon_eek:

No...seriously.....drop that infant and go get one
  • SUPPORTER

chromesphere

Yep.  Im still not sure what a dremel will do that my drill press wont though.  On a day to day, pedal building sort of basis.  I know in the past i have been doing a job and thought a dremel might be useful, but not specifically pedal related jobs though...

Where does a dremel do that a drill press doesnt?  Serious question, i want to know.

Cheers!
Paul

Jdansti

^ Cut, grind, sand, polish, carve, it's portable, and it will do your taxes. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

greaser_au

A micromotor driving rotary bits at up to 10,000 RPM is an amazingly useful tool.  I have a cheapy from Dick Smith... it has multiple size collets, and a cable attachment so you can hang the motor up to reduce the working weight for long sessions.

I've always used drills, ball/end mills, little (20mm) circular saws, polishing tools, steel cutting blades, etc. with micromotors over the years, both in the factory and at home - I still have the scar on the side of my little finger where I nearly cut the end off with a circular micro-saw blade!!! :icon_redface:

Every time I use veroboard, my cheapy micromotor and diamond bits (from e-bay) come out to cut boards to size and cut the tracks. Plastic cases are cut with a grinder bit, and holes that need opening out are drilled with a drill or a or ball mill.

The beauty of the Dremel that the knockoffs don't have, is that like a good SLR camera, it isn't just a tool with a few bits, it's a complete system. You can buy the attachments to turn the rotary micromotor into a drill press, a plunge router, a router table, a sander, or a grinder etc. they have lots of other tools, as well, such as a small jigsaw, however I don't think their tax agent status is recognised in .au :)  

Paul, next time you are in Bunnings, have a look at the Dremel stuff in the tool shop (and, of course, the cheapy knockoffs)...  It won't *replace* your drill press (you will never drill an enclosure with something like that), but there are a number of things it will make easier.

david

chromesphere

Well it does sound useful! The first most immediate use that i can see for my own day to day tasks is cutting pcbs, although not sure that is the most approperiate use for it...i'll check one out next time im at the shops, definitely!  Im sure i find more uses for it.  Or maybe i SHOULDNT check it out :D

Paul

chromesphere

funny, not 2 mins after i typed the above i was messing around with an enclosure i powder coated that has a very tight lid.  I noticed the lid had a small notch of aluminium, a slight error from manufacturing probably, thats preventing the lid from shutting easily.  "What i need is something that can grind off that small notch...sandpaper....no....drill press....no...."

:)

Paul

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 06:40:33 AM
Well it does sound useful! The first most immediate use that i can see for my own day to day tasks is cutting pcbs, although not sure that is the most approperiate use for it...i'll check one out next time im at the shops, definitely!  Im sure i find more uses for it.  Or maybe i SHOULDNT check it out :D

Paul

That's how I cut all of my pcbs. It's great. I may make a vid on how I do it. I place my dremel in a vise and use a cylindrical bit that acts like a table router. And it's great for making light plates too.
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 06:47:43 AM
funny, not 2 mins after i typed the above i was messing around with an enclosure i powder coated that has a very tight lid.  I noticed the lid had a small notch of aluminium, a slight error from manufacturing probably, thats preventing the lid from shutting easily.  "What i need is something that can grind off that small notch...sandpaper....no....drill press....no...."

:)

Paul

LOL

A Dremel is the kind of tool you buy to do one thing and end up doing so many things with that you wonder how you could live without one :)
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 28, 2012, 07:02:43 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 06:40:33 AM

Paul

That's how I cut all of my pcbs. It's great. I may make a vid on how I do it. I place my dremel in a vise and use a cylindrical bit that acts like a table router. And it's great for making light plates too.

I used to use the Dremel for cutting PCBs, and then one day I realized that my miter saw was sitting just outside my kitchen door ready to go.  So I took a chance a put PCB on it and it made a beautiful, smooth cut without overheating the board. Much faster and more precise than my Dremel.
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

Diamond cutting disc on the Dremel, rest the Dremel on the edge of the table, place PCB on parts drawers edge and you've constructed a mini miter table. Cuts fast and precise.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)