What pedal / electronics related present did you get for Xmas? :)

Started by chromesphere, December 24, 2012, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greaser_au

Quote from: Jdansti on December 28, 2012, 07:57:47 AM
I used to use the Dremel for cutting PCBs, and then one day I realized that my miter saw was sitting just outside my kitchen door ready to go.  So I took a chance a put PCB on it and it made a beautiful, smooth cut without overheating the board. Much faster and more precise than my Dremel.

If your idea of a mitre saw is the same as mine (http://www.gmctools.com/products/?v_cat_id=5), then THAT is using a Magnum to kill a fly  :o  I can see that it would work, though!   ;D

david

Jdansti

Yep. That's what I thought too before I tried it. I've got a good carbide blade on it for doing trim work, so I'm sure that helps. One reason it works for me is that it's sitting in a convenient location, plugged in, and always ready to go.

Edit:

BTW-I'm not recommending that anyone go out and buy one just for cutting PCBs, but if you've already got one, give it a try.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

therecordingart

My mother in-law got me a hot air rework station. SMD has never been so easy! :)

rockhorst

I've had a dremel for over a year now...haven't used it yet :icon_redface:
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Jdansti

I forgot to mention that I also use mine for cutting pot shafts. Are the non-Dremel folks using hacksaws or some other tool?
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on December 28, 2012, 04:12:45 PM
non-Dremel folks

There's only two types of people in this world; those with dremels and those poor poor souls without one :D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

chromesphere

I use a hacksaw for pcb at the moment.  It would be nice to use something that can cut DEAD STRAIGHT without me having to....you know...exert any effort at all.  But you might be surprised how accurate i can cut these boards with a hacksaw.  I've done it so many times its like watching a laserbeam.  Still, like i said, no effort is always nicer :D

A heat gun is also on my wishlist....starting to wish i had of started this thread BEFORE xmas hahaha

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

Pyr0

Well getting back on track here, it's not a present I got, but it's one I bought for my son, as I couldn't make anything like it. I got him a Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb. And what a lovely pedal it is, very solid build and heavy too. The shimmer effect is really cool. Would highly recommend.  :)

greaser_au

Quote from: Jdansti on December 28, 2012, 04:12:45 PM
I forgot to mention that I also use mine for cutting pot shafts. Are the non-Dremel folks using hacksaws or some other tool?

I've been known to put a long shaft in the chuck of the drill & use a hacksaw while it's spinning...  I use my DP like a poor man's lathe sometimes :)

david

J0K3RX

Quote from: alparent on December 25, 2012, 01:38:22 PM
I got nothing.
But that's cool cause I have a wonderful wife and I get stuff all year round.
Got a couple of per bases planned for the next couple of days.
Powder coating gun, carbide drill bits, and what ever else I find on my 3 days US shopping spree.
I'm in Canada, close to the boarder and going shopping in the US is always a fun time.
2 nights a the hotel, just me and my wife (no kids) ... Now THAT's a gift in itself!

Same... minus the powder coating gun, drill bits, 2 nights in a hotel.

I am alive and my family is doing well! What more is there really?
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 05:34:24 PM
I use a hacksaw for pcb at the moment.  It would be nice to use something that can cut DEAD STRAIGHT without me having to....you know...exert any effort at all.  But you might be surprised how accurate i can cut these boards with a hacksaw.  I've done it so many times its like watching a laserbeam.  Still, like i said, no effort is always nicer :D

I was amazed that some folks used hacksaws to cut aluminum enclosures into wedges with nice straight sides that matched. I can't even make a straight cut on a PVC pipe with a hacksaw to save my life. :)  In this case, it's not the tool that has the problem, it's me.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on December 29, 2012, 01:16:10 AM
I was amazed that some folks used hacksaws to cut aluminum enclosures into wedges with nice straight sides that matched. I can't even make a straight cut on a PVC pipe with a hacksaw to save my life. :)  In this case, it's not the tool that has the problem, it's me.  ;)

I used a dremel with a cutting wheel. I measured and marked the cuts and dremeled, then used a large metal file to true it up.
  • SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

Quote from: Jdansti on December 29, 2012, 01:16:10 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on December 28, 2012, 05:34:24 PM
I use a hacksaw for pcb at the moment.  It would be nice to use something that can cut DEAD STRAIGHT without me having to....you know...exert any effort at all.  But you might be surprised how accurate i can cut these boards with a hacksaw.  I've done it so many times its like watching a laserbeam.  Still, like i said, no effort is always nicer :D

I was amazed that some folks used hacksaws to cut aluminum enclosures into wedges with nice straight sides that matched. I can't even make a straight cut on a PVC pipe with a hacksaw to save my life. :)  In this case, it's not the tool that has the problem, it's me.  ;)

Chop saw with metal cutting blades makes a perfect cut and cuts enclosures like butter in about 5 seconds. Next choice would be a angle grinder with a metal cutting disc.

For pcb I use heavy duty shop scissors, cuts boards like cardboard, straight and no dust! For thin fiberglass pcb (which I buy a lot of) I use a paper slicer, cuts nice and straight and takes no time at all...

Hacksaw? Really?  :P  If it works for ya then so be it...  ::)

btw - Dremels are for sissy girls who like to do their nails :icon_mrgreen:

I'm a big boy, I go peepee standing up! :icon_lol:

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: J0K3RX on December 29, 2012, 01:51:10 AM

I will murder you :icon_evil:     :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 29, 2012, 01:57:18 AM

I will murder you :icon_evil:     :icon_lol:

lmao... just messin with ya ;D

Jdansti

At least I have prettier toe nails than all the other guys at the YMCA.  :P
  • SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: J0K3RX on December 29, 2012, 02:35:01 AM

Well gosh darnit ,I always use the wrong bit.  :icon_lol:

*EDIT*   Warning: my severed finger ahead

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj545/haveyouseenhim/DSC07566-1_zps42587dfb.jpg
  • SUPPORTER

skjaldborg

My SWMBO got me a cheap pocket oscilloscope  and some solder - it doesn't get much more romantic than that! ;D

QuoteI've been known to put a long shaft in the chuck of the drill & use a hacksaw while it's spinning...  I use my DP like a poor man's lathe sometimes
slightly off topic and sorry to come over all 'elth and safety here but I would hate to see people getting hurt -  Be aware that the chucks of most DPs are held in with an engineering taper i.e. friction and the up  force from drilling is the only thing that keeps the chuck in the machine - applying side force to work in a DP is VERY dangerous  - basically that can break the friction and the chuck can disengage and fly out at speed. I suspect if you are talking about a dremel type drill in a holder press that might  be ok as I would think the dremel is designed to take some side force with cutting wheels but most larger drill presses are not designed to do this.