What pedal / electronics related present did you get for Xmas? :)

Started by chromesphere, December 24, 2012, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

Quote from: skjaldborg on December 29, 2012, 03:29:40 AM
My SWMBO got me a cheap pocket oscilloscope  and some solder - it doesn't get much more romantic than that! ;D

QuoteI've been known to put a long shaft in the chuck of the drill & use a hacksaw while it's spinning...  I use my DP like a poor man's lathe sometimes
slightly off topic and sorry to come over all 'elth and safety here but I would hate to see people getting hurt -  Be aware that the chucks of most DPs are held in with an engineering taper i.e. friction and the up  force from drilling is the only thing that keeps the chuck in the machine - applying side force to work in a DP is VERY dangerous  - basically that can break the friction and the chuck can disengage and fly out at speed. I suspect if you are talking about a dremel type drill in a holder press that might  be ok as I would think the dremel is designed to take some side force with cutting wheels but most larger drill presses are not designed to do this.

^I've read that about DPs and believe it, but how is it that there are sanding drums made for use in a DP?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

skjaldborg

QuoteQuote from: skjaldborg on Today at 02:29:40 AM
My SWMBO got me a cheap pocket oscilloscope  and some solder - it doesn't get much more romantic than that!

I've been known to put a long shaft in the chuck of the drill & use a hacksaw while it's spinning...  I use my DP like a poor man's lathe sometimes
slightly off topic and sorry to come over all 'elth and safety here but I would hate to see people getting hurt -  Be aware that the chucks of most DPs are held in with an engineering taper i.e. friction and the up  force from drilling is the only thing that keeps the chuck in the machine - applying side force to work in a DP is VERY dangerous  - basically that can break the friction and the chuck can disengage and fly out at speed. I suspect if you are talking about a dremel type drill in a holder press that might  be ok as I would think the dremel is designed to take some side force with cutting wheels but most larger drill presses are not designed to do this.

^I've read that about DPs and believe it, but how is it that there are sanding drums made for use in a DP?

I don't know if they are designed for use with a hand drill rather than a drill press? Hand Drills don't (to the best of my knowledge) use a taper to hold the chuck. It could be that the side forces with sanding are not enough to cause a problem but personally I wouldn't go near this with a drill press. Safety aside you will wear the bearings on your drill as well.

Paul

greaser_au

Quote from:  link=topic=100569.msg886044#msg886044 date=1356769780
slightly off topic and sorry to come over all 'elth and safety here but I would hate to see people getting hurt -  Be aware that the chucks of most DPs are held in with an engineering taper i.e. friction and the up  force from drilling is the only thing that keeps the chuck in the machine - applying side force to work in a DP is VERY dangerous  - basically that can break the friction and the chuck can disengage and fly out at speed. I suspect if you are talking about a dremel type drill in a holder press that might  be ok as I would think the dremel is designed to take some side force with cutting wheels but most larger drill presses are not designed to do this.

Hi skjaldborg, exactly: you are correct.   One has to be mindful of this, and yes, it has happened to me once (so I used a bigger piece of wood to seat the chuck again!!!!). One needs to be aware of the limitations of the tools one is using.  I raise the table (and use low RPM) during operations like this so that if this happens again, the hole will catch the chuck (and the work!).  I've turned a turret punch, turret terminals http://www.flickr.com/photos/14643956@N06/8320876021/in/photostream/lightbox/ (the 5c coin is about 3/4"/18mm)  and a horn contact for my wife's car out of threaded rod stock with files, saws, and lots of gentle patience. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things; yes I agree the bearings will suffer with excessive pressure, and as soon as I can afford to buy a proper lathe (and later, a mill), I will do so!!!! That said I have been tempted to set up a drill bit in the vice & drill/tap the quill shaft...  

Yes, I do have a set of small sanding drums for the DP, I haven't used them yet!

david

greaser_au

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 29, 2012, 03:26:20 AM
Well gosh darnit ,I always use the wrong bit.  :icon_lol:
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj545/haveyouseenhim/DSC07566-1_zps42587dfb.jpg

ouch ouch ochitty ouch...  that must have HURT! Beware kids, power tools is dangerous!!!!!

david

duck_arse

aahhhh, geeze, I think I can see the missing bit in the sink.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

jmasciswannabe

GFS Mean 90 neck pickup for my Toronado.
Gold knobs and screws for my 86 Japanese Tele. (Gold had warn off in a not so good way)

...put in three parts orders Christmas Eve, smallbear has been the only one to deliver thus far (way to go guys!)

But the big one comes Wednesday. Source Audio Dimension Reverb....a guilty Christmas present to myself.

....the staircase had one too many steps

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: greaser_au on December 29, 2012, 07:53:59 AM
ouch ouch ochitty ouch...  that must have HURT! Beware kids, power tools is dangerous!!!!!

LOL   It was actually a box cutter  :icon_mrgreen:     I just figured it fit the situation
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

greaser_au

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 29, 2012, 11:06:16 AM
[LOL   It was actually a box cutter  :icon_mrgreen:     I just figured it fit the situation

a manual blade?  double ouch!

Gristlepig

My girl gave me $100 to spend at Smallbear!!!

She's the best!

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France

Jdansti

Quote from: greaser_au on December 29, 2012, 12:11:34 PM
[LOL   It was actually a box cutter  :icon_mrgreen:     I just figured it fit the situation

a manual blade?  double ouch!

We'll just have to call you "Stubby" from now on.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER

chromesphere

Quote from: greaser_au on December 29, 2012, 07:53:59 AM

LOL   It was actually a box cutter  :icon_mrgreen:     I just figured it fit the situation

Didnt realise this was actually your finger!  Thought it was just a random picture....

A box cutter!!  Gees man, that would have hurt....  :icon_eek: I gotta say, im pretty careless with box cutters.  Going to have to be more careful in future...

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

petey twofinger

a lil warning would have been nice , one look at that pic and my stomach is in a knot !
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: petey twofinger on December 29, 2012, 09:47:52 PM
a lil warning would have been nice , one look at that pic and my stomach is in a knot !

Oops :icon_mrgreen:   You can call me Mikey one finger now.
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

GO GET ONE NOW ;D     I had more to say in the video, but my father walked in and I already find it awkward to talk to a camera. There's a million and one more uses than cutting pcbs.

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I would hate to have to call you Mikey-No Fingers-No Lungs, so please allow me to make some friendly but critical safety comments. If you were working for me, I would not allow you to do what you did on the video.

First, your body parts are way to close to the cutter. If you were to slip or if the bit grabbed the work, you'd get chewed up. Clamp your board between a couple of pieces of thin wood or hold it with some vise grips using a cloth to protect the board. You need to find a way to get your fingers further away from the cutter. BTW-don't stop the bit with your fingers. You might miss the shaft or collet and grab the cutter.  :icon_eek:

Second, you're generating a lot of dust with no mechanism to manage it.  Particles less than 2.5 microns in diameter are not exhaled. They stay in your lungs forever and over time will cause chronic lung disease. Kinda like the roach motel - they check in, but they don't check out. ;)  I assume that you're not wearing a respirator since I could hear you clearly.  A respirator would be good, but a good seal and the right cartridges are necessary.  The best thing would be to have a vent hood over your work with the exhaust going outside the house. If that's not possible, you could use a shop vac with a good HEPA filter and place the nozzle close to the work.

Wouldn't  want to see you become an old man with lung disease and missing digits.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on December 30, 2012, 05:39:40 PM
I would hate to have to call you Mikey-No Fingers-No Lungs, so please allow me to make some friendly but critical safety comments. If you were working for me, I would not allow you to do what you did on the video.

First, your body parts are way to close to the cutter. If you were to slip or if the bit grabbed the work, you'd get chewed up. Clamp your board between a couple of pieces of thin wood or hold it with some vise grips using a cloth to protect the board. You need to find a way to get your fingers further away from the cutter. BTW-don't stop the bit with your fingers. You might miss the shaft or collet and grab the cutter.  :icon_eek:

Second, you're generating a lot of dust with no mechanism to manage it.  Particles less than 2.5 microns in diameter are not exhaled. They stay in your lungs forever and over time will cause chronic lung disease. Kinda like the roach motel - they check in, but they don't check out. ;)  I assume that you're not wearing a respirator since I could hear you clearly.  A respirator would be good, but a good seal and the right cartridges are necessary.  The best thing would be to have a vent hood over your work with the exhaust going outside the house. If that's not possible, you could use a shop vac with a good HEPA filter and place the nozzle close to the work.

Wouldn't  want to see you become an old man with lung disease and missing digits.  :)

I don't plan on living long :icon_twisted:

I usually have a drywalling style mask but I ran out of em 2 days ago....gotta make a trip to lowes  :icon_redface:

I knew as soon as i did it I shouldn't have stopped the bit with my hand. That was a one off thing to be able to talk sooner. It's NOT a habit. It's low torque so it looks more dangerous than it is.

STAY OUTTA MY GARAGE OSHA! :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I've already called OSHA, but they said that they really didn't care if Mike Scheurer gets injured.  ;D

Well I got enough Amazon gift cards to get a cheapo Fender Squire Tele, so I placed an order today for a black one. I was a little leery because the guy that owns the little guitar store in town was pissed at the poor out of the box setup of all Fenders and Gibsons regardless of high or low models. I'd also read about new Squires having sharp fret ends and needing some fret filing in addition to some other problems. So I went to GC last night and checked out a Squire Tele, and it seemed just fine. The salesman said that it had not had a setup done on it at the store. So we'll see when it gets here. At worst it will be a project guitar.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

My better half suprised me with a pt80 kit ( with tap tempo) @ a very nice pro solder station. I've built the former with the latter and I've got to say it's nice to work with good tools. Pt80 sounds good too but neither can take my mind off my current issue with a simple ROG Mayqueen. Built 2 with different layouts & both sound the same -wrong. Neither will trim with a 10k pot, they need a 100k, neither will produce more than unity gain but I'm persevering because they both sound bl**** awesome! I'm suspecting a pair of duff J201's... Tried just about everything else - will replace them before asking for help, really wanted to fathom this one myself, just feel better for getting it off my chest.......
Happy holidays
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

tristanplaysguitar

TC Electronic Flashback X4 and maybe a drill press :)
The delay's awesome, but the tap tempo switch came broken. So back to Guitar Center for an exchange :P

Tristan
<a href="http://tristan-smith.bandcamp.com">My Music</a>
Guild Bluesbird, Guild GAD-25, THD BiValve
Built: LPB-1, Bazz Fuss, BYOC Analog Chorus