A basic question about grounding that i'm confused about.

Started by daryl, November 26, 2012, 10:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

> how do I keep the circuitboard and other components from contacting the enclosure to prevent shorting parts of/the whole circuit?

I have shoved newspaper or meat-pack foam in a case to get me through a night.

In general the circuit board has to be supported so it doesn't move around. Look at some of the other projects posted here for ideas.

> if some of this is foggy, I apologize.

I just read Soares Grounding and Bonding. Soares pretty-near "re-wrote the book", the NEC, in his 1965 book. However he's gone and the 2002 (and 2011 I assume) editions are 412 pages of utter fog. Dozen pages in before it says why we "ground". Disgustingly little distinction between Grounding and Bonding (stray paths and power-return paths). NO concept of "circuit" (the word is used but everything is one-line). And the phrase "(may be a neutral)" gets tiresome the 13th time it is used to no effect.

With few changes, your 700 word fever-induced posting could replace most of Soares' 400+ pages for 90% of what most electricians do routinely.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Thanks for helping us become firmly grounded on grounding, R. G. Hope you're feeling better.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...