Looking for a perfect distortion for small keyboards..

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, December 30, 2012, 03:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

So, I've been modifying / recording small toy keyboards (casio/farfisa/yamaha) for some time, but never seem to find a good sounding distortion. By good I mean something that does not necessarily destroys the input signal and that also works on 6 or 7,5 volts to build inside the machine itself. Any ideas?
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Electron Tornado

Define "perfect". What sort of sound are you looking for?
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

FUZZZZzzzz

well.. most distortion pedal take away all the dynamics on a toy keyboard.. so maybe something with a blending option and that also really "communicates" with mid and high frequencies as you may not find too much bass in your average casiotone / portasound. The sound itself can go from subtle to vomiting.. theres nothing I wont try.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

timd

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on January 01, 2013, 01:59:10 PM
well.. most distortion pedal take away all the dynamics on a toy keyboard.. so maybe something with a blending option and that also really "communicates" with mid and high frequencies as you may not find too much bass in your average casiotone / portasound. The sound itself can go from subtle to vomiting.. theres nothing I wont try.
Not so subtle - check out the video in the thread with the keyboard...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99590.msg876278#msg876278

SmoothAction

An Uglyface w/LFO would be straight bitchin' on some keys. Thats just me... It wouldnt be very subtle though.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

timd

Quote from: SmoothAction on January 01, 2013, 03:27:52 PM
An Uglyface w/LFO would be straight bitchin' on some keys. Thats just me... It wouldnt be very subtle though.

That's the idea!

timd

Stuff like that sounds great on the demo tune or stock drum tracks on those old keyboards!

tiges_ tendres

A lot of those dollar store keyboards (no namers) are amplified by a 386 set clean.  If you jumper pins 1 and 8 the signal gets very fuzzy.
Try a little tenderness.