Ringdroid - a sample and hold ring modulator

Started by ~arph, January 02, 2013, 08:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

not too upset anyone outside the EU.. but received my ringdroid pcb in perfect condition yesterday. I do live in the same country as Mr Arph, but so you guys know things are probably on its way and worth the wait. ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Pyr0

Mine arrived yesterday  :) Just waiting on a few more components to be delivered before I can build it.

~arph

Great guys! I'm here to help you out if you run into trouble.  ;D

glops

I need to check my work.  I built the board and it didn't really work and I fried a pot for the first time. I didn't have the duo led soldered up either. I'm sure its my mistake as I was Budweiser n buildin.

~arph

;D ah yes building and drinking..

I haven't totally finished and debugged my reference build either. At first the gate was not working on my build, shut all the time. I fixed this by replacing the tl074 with a lm324, but now it's working, but not as expected. It seems like the sample stage gets too small a signal and the clock signal is too present in the final sound. But overall the sampling works, the gate works and the chopping of the signal works. it could be part of that op amp change too. I must have had two duals on the breadboard.
I need to check all solder joints too as it was a rush job. Will report back.

soffa

I got the board yesterday - sadly I left for a week' s vacation! I can at least stare at the schematic this week......

Soffa

glops

Anyone get there's up and running.  Haven't debugged mine yet from weeks ago but may get into that later today.

John Lyons

Just fired mine up last night.
I used a 1uf cap for C12 for faster speeds. Other than that it's stock.
I still need to get my head around it. I want to try lowering the ring level (or make it adjustable) and also
lowering the frequency of the oscillator. In general higher frequencies are nice for ring mods but the lower
freqs are nice for thickening and tremolo sounds.
I feel it needs some tweaking but it works as stock.

Need to try earthtones tweaks still.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

glops

Quote from: John Lyons on March 25, 2013, 05:27:21 PM
Just fired mine up last night.
I used a 1uf cap for C12 for faster speeds. Other than that it's stock.
I still need to get my head around it. I want to try lowering the ring level (or make it adjustable) and also
lowering the frequency of the oscillator. In general higher frequencies are nice for ring mods but the lower
freqs are nice for thickening and tremolo sounds.
I feel it needs some tweaking but it works as stock.

Need to try earthtones tweaks still.

Oh, good to hear!

cloudscapes

this is really awesome arf! really sounds different from everything!

I've been wanting to combine s&h and ringmodulation, though not exactly the same, and not at all the same hardware. but I think yours sounds better than my own mental implementation. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

newperson

did the layout work fine?  any chance of posting just the art so i can try to etch one of these?  or do you plan to do another pcb run?

John Lyons

^ Very much double sided with small traces and pads.
Still interested?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

newperson

double sided does not bother me.  i have gotten good at it. 

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

newperson

Maybe he will chime in at some point.  I really just need to sit down and learn Eagle, Express, or OsmondCocoa.  John, did your PCB work out okay without any changes?  The demo sounds very nice.

~arph

I'd like to hold out for a few more positive build reports and then make some corrections to the board if needed, then I can do another (bigger) run. I have a list of people interested. I will add newperson to it.

newperson

that will work also.  thanks for the reply,

Vince_b

Add me to the list too if there is a new run of pcb. Thanks

~arph