What type of capacitor gives the best sound?

Started by alparent, January 08, 2013, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

;D Just KIDING! NO I don't want to start yet another discussion on this topic.

I can just hear some of you mumbling as they read the title....."Not a #@$%#$% cap question again!.....can't he use the @#%@#% search......"

Fender3D

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

FiveseveN

Damn! I was just polishing my capsniffer whacker.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Jazznoise

I've read enough on dialectric distortion to know that I don't care about a 30V cap's 1% THD at 10Khz at 30V when I'm putting it in a 9v fuzzbox with 40% THD.
Expressway To Yr Null

teemuk

This one:

(Needless to mention, but it will need 1.21 Jigawatts of power to operate).

Ice-9

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Perrow

Reverse biased electrolytic caps for that popping sound.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Dave W

That's where it's at.

alparent

But how the hell am I suppose to sell my special boutique effects on craiglist or ebay if I don't have candy orange drop rainbow gold fish caps in them?

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: alparent on January 09, 2013, 08:22:17 PM
But how the hell am I suppose to sell my special boutique effects on craiglist or ebay if I don't have candy orange drop rainbow gold fish caps in them?

Fake them? ???
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

amptramp

Quote from: electrosonic on January 09, 2013, 08:34:45 PM
These must be good...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-historic-bumblebee-capacitors-2-pack

Andrew.

I'm in the wrong business if you can get that kind of money for Black Beauty caps.  Molded caps like that usually split at the mold parting line and develop leakage from water vapour getting into the wax dielectric.  If you are restoring an antique radio, they usually get replaced by modern film capacitors.

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

brett

In the spirit of this BS post...
How to get better tone?
Caps?
Diodes?
Clean power?
Vintage transistors?
Lessons?
Less beer?
More beer?
Longer fingers?
Stronger fingers?
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

gritz

To paraphrase Stanley Kubrick:

"How I learned to stop worrying and love my tone"

alparent

The funniest part is that I have drawers full of these mojo inspiring components.
(Given to me buy an older gent that use to be an electronics repair man)
But I never use them 'cause they are huge and never fit on the layouts I find.
Maybe I'll just put them in my safe and leave them to my son in his inheritance (along with the SAD1024)

duck_arse

does that 14$ cap really say "oil paper cap", or are my eyes misreading?

a fellow I knew, owned his own company making lighting desks, used to attach an electro to a long mains flex, hang it out the front door, and turn it on. I can't remember what value he said made the best sound, but he also used resistors connected to the bench supply to light his cigs.

dunno what happened to him, but his business isn't there any more.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

drolo

Quote from: electrosonic on January 09, 2013, 08:34:45 PM
These must be good...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-historic-bumblebee-capacitors-2-pack

Andrew.

MSRP: $145.99

Your Savings:  - $33.00

Free Shipping on Orders over $25

Your Price:
        $112.99

$33.00 savings is still a good deal though :D

I once dared mentioning the unimportance of capacitor type as a comment to a premier guitar article comparing the different qualities of all those bumblebees, goldfish and what not caps.

I had comments of people arguing over this for months. Some got pissed to the point of insulting each other agressively ...
I miss reading them at the office every morning with my coffee, that was finest entertainment :-)

teemuk

Yep, audio capacitor -threads never fail to deliver.

How about breaking them in?

::)