What type of capacitor gives the best sound?

Started by alparent, January 08, 2013, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

capacitors need breaking in now as well?

I knew the polarised, oxygen free copper mains leads needed breaking in, but any fool knew that.

and is that 14$ cap a "tone cap" or a "string ground cap"? you wouldn't want to get those two confused.
don't make me draw another line.

amptramp

Quote from: teemuk on January 10, 2013, 11:27:18 AM
Yep, audio capacitor -threads never fail to deliver.

How about breaking them in?

::)

Yeah, with oil filled caps, how often do you change the oil?  I year or 5000 songs?  Do you need to replace the filter as well?  Does 5W-30 work all year round?  Where is the sunp plug?

gritz

Quote from: amptramp on January 12, 2013, 09:45:52 AM
Yep, audio capacitor -threads never fail to deliver.

::)

Yeah, with oil filled caps, how often do you change the oil?  I year or 5000 songs?  Do you need to replace the filter as well?  Does 5W-30 work all year round?  Where is the sunp plug?

Heh, anyone who has a niche / sporty / classic car or motorcycle will possibly have experienced "what oil?" threads on auto forums. They're pretty much as messy as "what cap / speaker cable / etc" threads on audio sites. Messy.

puretube

rousejeremy

I replace my paper in oil caps every 7500 songs.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

alparent

I switched to synthetic oil and I'm good for 15 000 songs.

teemuk

But you can't get the organic richness of crude oil with synthetic products. It's like playing a modeling amp against the real deal.  ::)

rousejeremy

You guys are all wrong. It's a combination of how many times the tone knob is turned down AND the oil. The oil in teh capacitor breaks down the most while it is shunting highs to ground. That's why I turn the tone knobs up to ten when I'm not using the guitar. It extends the caps life by at least 5 years.

duck_arse

I always wondered what the tone knob on a guitar was for. now, it seems, it is there to preserve the life of the tone capacitor. my guit's cap isn't oil filled. where does that leave me, tone knob-wise?

(I might add that my guitar needs new controls and wiring ..... )

teemuk

If you doubt the validity of information in above posts, here's a random oscilloscope capture that proves everything correct.

alparent

You noticed that faded wave in the middle of the scop's screen! That's how you know your due for an oil change!

Paul Marossy

The best sounding caps to me are the ones that have sound going thru them.  :icon_wink:

chromesphere

$150 for 2 capacitors...you have got to be kidding me...What are they made of? Unobtainium?

I love these threads by the way :)  I feel sorry for the new guy thats just starting out in pedal electronics and doesnt know any better though.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

rousejeremy

Quote from: alparent on January 14, 2013, 10:53:56 AM
You noticed that faded wave in the middle of the scop's screen! That's how you know your due for an oil change!
Yup, too much Mustang Sally.

duck_arse

" .... A look at the actual capacitor, a piece of rolled up paper with the electrolyt in between. Remove carefully the filings by blowing or by brushing...."

I only got to page two, I get better ways to waste my download limit.

I wonder if these guys have thought of stone as a casing. nice bit of granite for each of your 10uF 35V electros.

.... now stop fileing, and carefully blow away the filings ....

stallik

Alternatively, you could create a vinyl sticker to go round your electrolitics. The following example has all the relevant words and just looking at the cap will make your pedal sound better - even before you fit it.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

teemuk

Here are some fancier wrapper alternatives.... a whole series of them.

Tropical Fish caps = TONE!  ;)

Perrow

Quote from: teemuk on January 16, 2013, 10:55:45 AM
Here are some fancier wrapper alternatives.... a whole series of them.

Tropical Fish caps = TONE!  ;)

LOL

No really I LOLed.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Mike Burgundy

I like to toast mine before installing, about 23m in a popcornmaker. This only works when using fresh natural oils for filling the caps, and finishing with a triglyceride mixture commonly know as butterfat. This reduces break-in time by over 15%.