RCA527 IC ????

Started by armdnrdy, January 17, 2013, 12:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I'm trying to help a member with an Orange (brand) phaser. I can't find any info on this thing accept for what I receive from him. he says that it contains a couple of 1458s, a few BC series transistor, and a RCA527.

I can't find any info on the 527. Has anyone come across this IC or is this number an "exclusive" Orange part number?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Good one Mike! Thanks!

I looked all around the net for gut shots or a schematic and it was sitting here the whole time!

I don't see a 527 in it, but everything else looks about right. It's a start!

I did find a NE527 but it's a DIL14 voltage comparator.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mike Burgundy

Pic is very hard to read, kinda looks like a 741 to me. It's dragonfly's album, see if he can help ;P
edit: Meh. He seems to have been away from the board for quite some time.

armdnrdy

I think you're right about the 741.

That would make sense. It looks like there are four FETs, two dual op amps, and the single 741 would be for the LFO.

The single op amp LFO has been a recent learning experience for me after reverse engineering an Aria Jet Phaser from pictures!

Mike Burgundy

I don't think this is around anywhere - I know the MadProf's Tiny Orange Phaser, and the Ross Orange Phaser, this is neither of them. Looks to be out-of-production, could be an interesting one for reversing (plus might be very helpful with a debug).
If you have the possibility to (carefully! Watch the glass surface!) stick both sides of the board on a scanner or take detailed pictures, might be a fun project.

armdnrdy

I did a little digging and found that the Orange phazer is exactly the same as the Dharma sound phaser.

http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/2011/10/dharma-sound-phaser.html

The exact same circuit board and component layout.

And yes, it is a 741.

Mike Burgundy

Possibly very close to a coloursound as well - no schem though. Compared to most phasers, I seem to miss buffers, just the phase stages. Hmm.

armdnrdy

There is one transistor by the pot. Most likely an amplifier of some sort.