Zvex SHO Clone problem

Started by thedavidbeam, January 17, 2013, 01:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedavidbeam

Hey guys. So i built an SHO clone, and added a master volume to it. The master volume is simply a 100k pot that takes place of a 100k resistor going to ground at the end of the circuit in the original schematic. The only problem is, the pot has the entire sweep before the knob gets above 9:00. After that it doesn't get any louder, and this makes that portion of the sweep VERY sensitive. Any idea how to remedy this? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Mark Hammer

Does the pot say 100kB/C or B/C100k anywhere on it?
Sounds like you have the right value bu the wrong taper. You want a log-taper pot, typically incidcated by an 'A' (A100k or 100kA)

thedavidbeam

I have tried using B100k as well as A100k. it's a log pot that's currently in there.

LucifersTrip

did you try wiring a standard volume pot at the end of the circuit ?
always think outside the box

Paul Marossy

Quote from: LucifersTrip on January 17, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
did you try wiring a standard volume pot at the end of the circuit ?

That's what I would have done...

thedavidbeam

i've tried that, but it works more as a volume than an "attenuator" of sorts. with where it is now, though the sweep of the pot is hard to control, you can still get the dirt and gain from cranking the regular volume or gain pot at reasonable levels.

pinkjimiphoton

i seem to remember using a 1m pot on mine for master, and it wasn't in series with the board output. i think i replaced a resistor.

maybe try a different size pot? try maybe a 10k or something?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr