Effects insert wiring.

Started by Kesh, February 15, 2013, 07:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kesh

I'm putting a TRS stereo insert jack on the amp I'm building.

I wondered, what is the convention for which, out of tip and ring, is FX send, and which is return?

FiveseveN

A quick Google search brings up both options in fairly equal abundance. But Wikipedia says
QuoteMost modern entry level and medium format mixers use a single TRS phone jack for both Send and Return. This dual-purpose insert jack only has three conductors, and balanced lines need at least two conductors. Because two lines share the same three-conductor insert jack, its architecture is necessarily unbalanced, with the two circuits sharing a common ground. Of the mixers using this kind of dual-purpose insert jack, most are designed with Tip Send, Ring Return, though many can still be found with Ring Send, Tip Return. A very few mixers have both architectures present on the same mixer; Tip Send for input channels and Tip Return for mix groups.

It's really no big deal, as these inserts are always used with Y cables and switching from one standard to the other just means swapping the TS jacks.
The configuration should be noted on the device just to be sure, like here.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?