Joyo Trem internal trim pots

Started by Ernie, July 16, 2016, 05:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Not sure what I did here.  I followed the advice from a forum about this pedal to increase the volume by replacing the internal trim pot from 10k to 100k.  In addition to that I also followed some mods outlined in this link https://dantonewac.blogspot.com/2015/03/modifying-joyo-tremolo-to-demeter.html?showComment=1468702708868 to closer match the Demeter Tremulator specs.  Now I get a very loud increase and really choppy helicopter tremelo no matter where I adjust the internal trim pot I just put in or the Intensity and Rate knobs.  I think it might be because I used a B Taper trim pot?  Could I just use a fixed resistor instead of the trim pot?

lukeferg

Hi Ernie,

Using a B taper pot won't affect anything other than how the pot travels from one end to the other. You can use any letter pot in place of any other letter but some might give a more 'user friendly' pot travel than others. B taper pots are linear so you're pretty safe there.
My guess is you've got a solder bridge somewhere that is causing your intensity to be at maximum by default. I'd be looking around your intensity pot to see if that's the problem. The other issue is you may have shorted out the clean part of the signal. The way the tremolo works is you have a clean signal and an effect signal and your intensity pot controls the blend of both of them. At the moment, something around your intensity pot sounds like the issue.
Does your rate knob change the speed of the effect at the moment?
Also, looking at the schematic on that website I can't find C6. I'm guessing that's a part in the Joyo. Try to trace what that cap does, you may need a jumper in it's place otherwise you've got a loose connection. You could try put that cap back and see what happens.

I don't have that pedal so can't really give too much other help at the moment.
Good luck!