News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Clear Coat

Started by Canucker, June 03, 2013, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

So I did a search to see what came up for recommended clear coat...but they seemed a little outdated (2007, 2009) so I figured its time to revisit the topic.....for my own benefit of course! If you benefit from it too thats simply an accident and you shouldn't take it personally!  :P :P :P

petey twofinger

http://www.twotwentyone.net/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-Ea-UhYgy5OY/UHJCOlIn9eI/AAAAAAAAGfI/X6JBNxLMzts/s1600/clear%2Bcoat.png

limited experience on this subjct , but i did get some rustoleum like above , i prefered it over the krylon i used before . it dried a lot faster , smoothed out nice , looks great . but t really power blasts out of the can !
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Canucker

blasts out more then kyrlon? I have a can of krylon clear and a couple of colours and I feel like 90% of it is missing what I'm painting/coating. I think the Krylon dries pretty fast though.

Mark Hammer

Some clear coats are incompatible with the base/colour coat and can cause wrinkling.

Always best to apply multiple thin coats, however, so that it cures completely.

Canucker

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 03, 2013, 03:34:30 PM
Some clear coats are incompatible with the base/colour coat and can cause wrinkling.

Always best to apply multiple thin coats, however, so that it cures completely.

any examples? I kinda like the wrinkle look if its even.

Mark Hammer

Couldn't list any off the top of my head.  I just make it a point to try and use the same brand of clear-coat as the paint underneath.  It also helps to prevent wrinkling if the paint underneath is completely cured before applying clearcoat.  Again, thin coats, baked.

Canucker

what do you advise for baking? time/temp.