Wha?! Radio Shack rebranding - the return of DIY?

Started by Mark Hammer, March 05, 2013, 10:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phizone

I haven't been in a Radio Shack in 10 years or so, so I'm not sure if the local one in town is selling Arduinos yet. However, when the current owner bought it, he moved it into his other business which is a gas station/bait shop. So, I'm pretty sure it's probably the only Radio Shack where you can get a 2 day old corn dog, a liter of Mt. Dew, a couple dozen minnows, a few resistors, and fuel up the truck all at the same time.  :icon_mrgreen:

Thecomedian

DIY is coming back as economies crumble. It's possible that the rare and hard to find parts that MBAs stopped selling in radio shack in favor of higher turn over might return with a manufacturer or two seeing the value in supplying Good DIY parts.

Im sure a company could create a factory that can produce multiple different objects with the same machinery to save on costs. Could you imagine being able to build  a resistor series and then turning around and making a transistor series or pot series? I wonder if 3D printing technologies will create a renaissance of DIY as it progresses.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Mark Hammer

If economies are crumbling, you wouldn't know it from the cover price of MAKE magazine.  I certainly won't paint everythng as being in tip-top shape everywhere economically, but I think there is something to be said for the increasing fashionability of the DIY ethic.  Maybe it's fostered by the niche mentality of the web, maybe the technology, from laser printers, to all-in-one portastudios, games development systems, cookbooks (and cooking channels), and maybe it comes from unfulfilling jobs (or the need to get more fulfillment than any regular job can provide), people want to make their own stuff.  MAKE is a reflection of that, as is this very website.  RS used to initially be a reflection of a very small subculture - ham and shortwave radio folks (hence the name) - and maybe now it is starting to recognize that there is a potentially even larger culture out there.  The "I" that it wants to DY is a little different, but its easy to accommodate to.

petey twofinger

just last year i beleive right before the election ,  i recieved a jameco catalog that had a picture of a homeless guy on the cover . is that a good marketing ?

i would imagine that frys electronics may have had something to do with the trend to reduce the component inventory at rs . point is , before frys rolled up , rs was the only game in town . if they are going to get back in the game , they have a large competitor . have you been to a frys outlet ?

rat shack also seems to be like a temp job , burning thru lots of counter guys but it wasn't always like this .

i would love to see them blossom into a francise that i could enjoy supporting , i am willing to pay more for the convenience , but they should make up there mind who they are and perhaps decent  respectful sales guys would be an incentive . i either get " what are you trying to hook up " or a smoldering scowl when i am in there . i make a habit of smiling , giving a confident nod , but i believe they are trained to chase you and interrogate if you approach the parts area . i have never returned anything , and its none of there business what i am planning to build . for a while i gave in and would go ahead and attempt to explain myself . please dont ask questions if you are not qualified to answer . and by that i mean the workers have no clue as to what they stock , what the parts are , where they are , they demand to know what i am doing then they usually discourage me from even looking exhibiting extreme frustration . i realize its a bit much to ask , that all their staff be experienced , knowledgeable wire-heads , but the common courtesy thing , its important to me . if their guys only know about gold plated iphone adapters , they should be instructed to relax a bit . i tried polightly informing them " iknow exactly what i need , i have the part number " then producing a small slip of paper with a smile . didnt work , they tailed me and started opening the wrong drawers and stammering . two employees had a ladder in front of the soldering irons , i said " exuse me guys i would like to grab one of those soldering irons  " , " what are you TRYING to solder was the response " , i ended up just leaving . are they trained to hassle diy'ers ?

i stopped going in there , i started calling ahead with a part number and having it at the counter , my wife would pick it up on her way home . but i honestly haven't purchased from them much since i started ordering online .

and yes its a real thrill to see diy as big as it is , i blame the internet .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Paul Marossy

Quote from: petey twofinger on March 07, 2013, 01:13:56 PM
i either get " what are you trying to hook up " or a smoldering scowl when i am in there . i make a habit of smiling , giving a confident nod , but i believe they are trained to chase you and interrogate if you approach the parts area . i have never returned anything , and its none of there business what i am planning to build . for a while i gave in and would go ahead and attempt to explain myself . please dont ask questions if you are not qualified to answer . and by that i mean the workers have no clue as to what they stock , what the parts are , where they are , they demand to know what i am doing then they usually discourage me from even looking exhibiting extreme frustration . i realize its a bit much to ask , that all their staff be experienced , knowledgeable wire-heads , but the common courtesy thing , its important to me . if their guys only know about gold plated iphone adapters , they should be instructed to relax a bit . i tried polightly informing them " iknow exactly what i need , i have the part number " then producing a small slip of paper with a smile . didnt work , they tailed me and started opening the wrong drawers and stammering . two employees had a ladder in front of the soldering irons , i said " exuse me guys i would like to grab one of those soldering irons  " , " what are you TRYING to solder was the response " , i ended up just leaving . are they trained to hassle diy'ers ?

I usually just coolly tell them I know exactly what I'm looking for as I pass by the counter on the way to where the parts drawers are. They usually don't bother me. But the paying at the counter can be annoying. No, I don't need batteries. I'm happy with my cell phone. Etc, etc...

drewl

How long has that "Arduino" stuff been around?

Looks like some great projects to get my little boy into.
He already has a couple electronic experiment kits that you snap components on a board to build different circuits,
and this looks like the next step for more complicated experiments.

jdub

I've gone pre-emptive at my local Rat Shack and make a point to tell them, as I approach the checkout, "Yes, this is it, I've got everything I need, I don't need batteries, my cell phone carrier need not be mentioned and you already have my email address."  They usually find this pretty funny  ;D
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

DougH

You guys may not remember the old days when they always asked you for your phone number...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

Quote from: DougH on March 07, 2013, 03:24:17 PM
You guys may not remember the old days when they always asked you for your phone number...

I do! I hated that!  :icon_lol:

wavley

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 07, 2013, 03:25:54 PM

I may not be the oldest fart around here, but I do remember when they sold radio parts, tubes, and replacement speakers... good times.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Jdansti

Quote from: wavley on March 07, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 07, 2013, 03:25:54 PM

I may not be the oldest fart around here, but I do remember when they sold radio parts, tubes, and replacement speakers... good times.

Yep. I remember going there with my Dad to use their tube tester that hung on the wall.

I also remember when they would ask for your name, address, and phone #, and then hand write every little part on a sales slip, and use an adding machine to get the total cost. It would really piss them off if I was buying 30 parts.

Now days, the kids at the closest store usually leave me alone. Sometimes they ask me what I'm building when I get to the counter, and I just say that I play guitar and build my own guitar pedals. This usually impresses them for some reason.  Maybe because I'm an old fart???
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

all i know is i LOVE their metal project boxes, i've gotten so used to using them i don't care for hammond boxes any more!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

rutabaga bob

@Petey:
  I get the same thing - being tailed on my way to the parts drawers.  I think it's just them keeping an eye on you, so you don't spleef the small bags of components.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Mac Walker

Quote from: petey twofinger on March 07, 2013, 01:13:56 PM

i stopped going in there , i started calling ahead with a part number and having it at the counter ,

My last three attempts using this method ended with a suggestion that I order them online.  My response that "Tayda doesn't carry Radio Shack parts" is usually followed by silence....

aron

Well I would say support anyone and everyone that would even bother to carry parts for us. As overpriced as they are, at least the parts are there. I hated the phone number part and later the batteries/cellphone speech, but I still support it whenever I can.

Jdansti

Quote from: rutabaga bob on March 07, 2013, 07:33:44 PM
@Petey:
  I get the same thing - being tailed on my way to the parts drawers.  I think it's just them keeping an eye on you, so you don't spleef the small bags of components.

Pepper spray. Works every time.  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

Thecomedian

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 07, 2013, 08:56:46 AM
If economies are crumbling, you wouldn't know it from the cover price of MAKE magazine.  I certainly won't paint everythng as being in tip-top shape everywhere economically, but I think there is something to be said for the increasing fashionability of the DIY ethic.  Maybe it's fostered by the niche mentality of the web, maybe the technology, from laser printers, to all-in-one portastudios, games development systems, cookbooks (and cooking channels), and maybe it comes from unfulfilling jobs (or the need to get more fulfillment than any regular job can provide), people want to make their own stuff.  MAKE is a reflection of that, as is this very website.  RS used to initially be a reflection of a very small subculture - ham and shortwave radio folks (hence the name) - and maybe now it is starting to recognize that there is a potentially even larger culture out there.  The "I" that it wants to DY is a little different, but its easy to accommodate to.

Food's getting more expensive too. Im not sure where you're going with that. I will say that the president said in a state of the union speech that the economy was getting better, and then they furlough 800k workers a month or two later? Okay. 1 in 3 males are out of work, and the shops on main street have died off, bars for drinking are only open friday and saturday, when they used to be open Tuesday-Sat, my dentist office cut hours back to 3 days a week instead of 5.

I'm just looking at what's going on around me in reaching a conclusion. as for MAKE, they're advertising well, and have good word of mouth going, and making a 1 off pedal is cheaper than buying it, especially if you have free time from low working hours. The middle class used to be the tinkerers from having a good paying job with reasonable hours and then lots of free time to enjoy other hobbies. We know the middle class is shrinking, not growing, and more people are getting into the DIY area..

People go back to tinkering when economies get bad. That's all Im saying.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on March 07, 2013, 10:53:52 PM
@Petey:

I like the way you think, John!   :D   And I used to work there ... 32 years ago ... 
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Jdansti

Quote from: bluebunny on March 08, 2013, 10:46:55 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on March 07, 2013, 10:53:52 PM
@Petey:

I like the way you think, John!   :D   And I used to work there ... 32 years ago ... 

So did I (34 yrs ago)!  The difference between us and the current sales folk is that you and I knew exactly what a 555 timer was and where to find it when a customer asked for it. Of course customers probably wanted to punch me out every time I asked them if they would like a stereo system to go with their 555 timer. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Electron Tornado

Quote from: wavley on March 07, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

I remember those times as well. Take a walk down memory lane here : http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?