Show us your SMD stuff.

Started by alparent, March 05, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

Quote from: gena_p1 on January 15, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on August 15, 2018, 08:09:24 AM
Two tier PCB's main board and plugin top control PCB

looking good, interesting why do you use 3x multiturn trims and one usual?

The 3 multiturn are for setting the JFET voltages and the one usual trimmer is an internal preamp drive control (next pcb revision will try and have this control on the outside of the enclosure as a pot if room can be made ), but it is really a set and forget control for drive into the tape saturation.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

gena_p1

JFET voltages - as for non-matched jfets of phase-90? I don't understand it function in FV-1 schemes

Ice-9

Quote from: gena_p1 on January 15, 2019, 03:14:02 PM
JFET voltages - as for non-matched jfets of phase-90? I don't understand it function in FV-1 schemes

No not for matching phaser JFETS. There is a 4 stage jfet preamp which adds drive and harmonic content based on the valve preamp characteristics of the tape echo unit that the pedal emulates. The multiturn trimmers are for drain and source adjustments for accurate settings.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

gena_p1

vigilante397

I keep forgetting to post my builds in here :P But this is one I've been wanting for a long time, a Deluxe Memory Man in a 1590B. Using an SMPS to take a +9V input and convert it to -15V so it's more pedalboard friendly, and running a pair of Xvive MN3005 for tasty analog tones 8)

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thomasha

Wow, now this is another level.
Even used BBDs in a 1590b box!

vigilante397

Quote from: thomasha on March 29, 2019, 03:00:01 PM
Wow, now this is another level.
Even used BBDs in a 1590b box!

Thanks ;D The BBDs weren't even the hard part ::)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

slacker

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

alanp

More likely to be a trick of the light -- with the wrong angle, lettering on ICs can be darn near invisible.

That is a really slick build by the way 8)

vigilante397

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 30, 2019, 02:57:48 PM
Why are all the ICs sanded??

Trick of the light, I promise they're not sanded. :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Quote from: Ice-9 on January 15, 2019, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: gena_p1 on January 15, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on August 15, 2018, 08:09:24 AM
Two tier PCB's main board and plugin top control PCB

looking good, interesting why do you use 3x multiturn trims and one usual?

The 3 multiturn are for setting the JFET voltages and the one usual trimmer is an internal preamp drive control (next pcb revision will try and have this control on the outside of the enclosure as a pot if room can be made ), but it is really a set and forget control for drive into the tape saturation.

OH!  Those cork compression washers are a smart idea on the jacks!!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

vigilante397

Quick smattering of some SMD stuff I've been doing lately:

Big Muff Pi (Ram's Head)

Shoot the Moon Tremolo

Small Clone Chorus

Lab Rat (ProCo Rat with the output buffer replaced with a 6N21B, plus a 6N21B clean boost)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

thomasha

All that space left! could feed a family of five! Just kidding...

awesome builds as always, I see that you are using the really tiny parts.

I'm too afraid to go smd, last time I had to change a ceramic cap I lost it, soldered it to the wrong pad and so on... :icon_lol:

now if you want some fun what about that DMM in a 1590a? If you cut the board in half and stack it, it probably fits...

vigilante397

Quote from: thomasha on May 01, 2019, 04:42:28 PM
All that space left! could feed a family of five! Just kidding...

awesome builds as always, I see that you are using the really tiny parts.

I'm too afraid to go smd, last time I had to change a ceramic cap I lost it, soldered it to the wrong pad and so on... :icon_lol:

now if you want some fun what about that DMM in a 1590a? If you cut the board in half and stack it, it probably fits...

Thanks :) And yeah, these could all pretty well be 1590A builds (besides maybe the DMM), I just like 1590B aesthetically.

The smallest passives I use are 0805, which is considered pretty big in the SMD world :P I consider them to be the smallest you can reasonably hand-solder without a micropscope.

As for stacking with the DMM I feel like it's almost possible, but there's 5 pots, and they all have to go somewhere ::)

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Nice builds, Nathan.  Yeah, I was thinking "but 1590A??" too...  If I can do four pots through-hole with sausage fingers and failing eyesight, then I'm sure you can do five.  Didn't Russ or Darron or someone cram six pots into a 1590A?   :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Ice-9

Very nice and tidy builds Nathan.  8) 8) 8)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

vigilante397

Quote from: bluebunny on May 02, 2019, 03:03:51 AM
Didn't Russ or Darron or someone cram six pots into a 1590A?   :icon_eek:

I know Dave (pickdropper) did 6 a while back, but he put 4 on top and 2 on the side. I'm concerned about 5 pots, an SPDT and 2 14-pin BBDs though :P I guess everything else is SMD though, I guess I'll think about it 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

temol

6 pots in a 1590a? soon.. ;)

Meanwhile...

Mostly SMD, mostly 0805, one 1206 (BB-74x), some THT. All pcbs are homemade, single sided (unfortunately).

Family shot. (left to right - ARM, Golden Pearl, 33, BB-74x)

Mr Black BB-74x.

Goldfinger (Golden Pearl)

Archaic Rock Machine

Fortin33

T.