Fender Footswitch Schematic Help

Started by shiner_man, March 20, 2013, 03:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiner_man

I have a Fender Prosonic amp and I want to build a new footswitch for it.  Looking at the Prosonic Schematic (mine is the combo version which is on the second page) I don't see a schematic for the footswitch.

Either way, I've been using the old Vib/Rev Switch which works fine.  It's just two buttons with a stereo output cable to the back of the amp.  I found a schematic for the Vib/Rev Switch but I'm not really sure how to wire it up since I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I made an attempt but I don't think it's right:

I used DPDT switches because I would like to wire some leds in there as well.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul Marossy

Looks OK to me. How do you plan on doing the LEDs?

shiner_man

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 20, 2013, 03:10:50 PM
Looks OK to me. How do you plan on doing the LEDs?

Haha great question.  I don't really know.  Would this work?

slacker

Yeah, that will work. Depending on how the switching in the amp works you might find the LEDs are on when you want them off, if that happens move the red wires to the bottom lug of the switch that will reverse the action.

shiner_man

Quote from: slacker on March 20, 2013, 03:41:05 PM
Yeah, that will work. Depending on how the switching in the amp works you might find the LEDs are on when you want them off, if that happens move the red wires to the bottom lug of the switch that will reverse the action.

Roger that.

I'm assuming the reverb and overdrive channel are turned on when the connection is made in the footswitch but I guess I shouldn't make that assumption.

Thanks for the help!

One other thing.  I don't have to ground anything to the actual box for this do I?  The sleeve of the stereo jack is a sufficient ground correct?

Paul Marossy

I'm glad that slacker answered the LED question. I wasn't sure exactly how that part would work. I was inclined to say do it with a battery and keep it completely independent. If it's a problem, I guess you could always do that.

slacker

I had a quick look at the schematic and it looks like the footswitch shorts lug 2 of the reverb pot (P8) to ground, so the reverb is off when the connection is made, so your LED will be on when the reverb is off. I couldn't decipher the channel switcher part.

If you use a Switchcraft open style jack or another type where the the threaded part is metal the box will be grounded by this. If you use a plastic jack you can connect a wire from the sleeve connection to the box, this will ground the box.

shiner_man

Quote from: slacker on March 20, 2013, 04:43:13 PM
I had a quick look at the schematic and it looks like the footswitch shorts lug 2 of the reverb pot (P8) to ground, so the reverb is off when the connection is made, so your LED will be on when the reverb is off. I couldn't decipher the channel switcher part.

If you use a Switchcraft open style jack or another type where the the threaded part is metal the box will be grounded by this. If you use a plastic jack you can connect a wire from the sleeve connection to the box, this will ground the box.

Thanks.  I'll test the Leds with some alligator clips before I solder them in place.