Yet Another First Build and New Member

Started by madmag, March 20, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmag

Hi fellow DIYers,

Thought I'd take this opp to introduce myself via my first build—an Axis Face fuzz.

Specs differing from Fuzz Central schematic:

• 2N4123—79 hFE
  • BC109—180 hFE

• Added a 68pf cap from Q1 b to c

• Added Input Blend a la Easy Face

• Fuzz pot is reverse taper

• 2.2M pulldown resistor
  • Graphics are inkjet waterslide paper sprayed with about 20 coats of clear acrylic

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the build.  It turned out way better than I could have hoped. Now, I'm trying to figure out what the next build should be. Leaning toward the Rangeblaster.

I want to thank:  this site's members, Beavis Audio, Fuzz Central, Small Bear and Tagboardeffects.   I never would have been able to do this without your unselfish sharing of your knowledge and expertise.

I would love to contribute to this forum, but I'm not sure I have anything of value to say that everyone doesn't already know. But I'll try.

Thanks,
John in PA

<br>
<br>

<br>

Govmnt_Lacky

I LOVE it!!!

First build...

First post...

Already got your own logo  ::)

Congrats!

EDIT: Welcome to the forum. Please excuse my sarcasm  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

madmag

Thanks. Funny you should mention the logo. I spent the most time on that! Don't know if it's obvious--the font is bragodoccio  "717" with the first 7 being flipped. What's 717 mean?  My month/day of my birthday.  I had a bunch of other names, then decided to go simple. 

I wish I could run internal wires better. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'm listening.

This site rocks!

bluebunny

Really nice first build, John.

Quote from: madmag on March 20, 2013, 08:33:48 PM
I wish I could run internal wires better. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'm listening.

Yeah, don't look at my builds.   ;D   I'm never content with my insides...  But check out the Pictures thread - lots of good examples to get some tips from.

This site rocks!

Most definitely!    8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

madmag

Thanks, bb.   I forgot to mention I didn't add a DC jack, going with some advice that plugging it in could alter the sound...i plan to try a carbon zinc battery, the recommended power source for this old-school type circuit.  Remains to be seen if I'll regret that.  Still haven't gotten a cz battery yet tho... 

Perrow

Make wires just as long as they need to be and rework your circuit board so they can be as short as possible.

No need to go crazy like I did on my Little Angel build, but it demonstrates the point.

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

madmag

Shhheeooot!  That's a clean build, Pelle. You're my new benchmark! 

Marc:  Sorry. Called you by your avatar.   Didn't see yr name 'til now...

bluebunny

Quote from: madmag on March 21, 2013, 04:38:52 PM
Shhheeooot!  That's a clean build, Pelle. You're my new benchmark! 

Yeah, I love that PT2399 dog taking a pee...   ;D   Nice one Pelle.

Marc:  Sorry. Called you by your avatar.   Didn't see yr name 'til now...

Ha ha!  No worries.  I respond to many things.  Ask my wife.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bluebunny

Quote from: kurtlives on March 21, 2013, 05:35:20 PM
What's with pin 4 sticking out again?

Quote from: bluebunny on March 21, 2013, 05:07:38 PM
. . . PT2399 dog taking a pee...

Just kidding.   :D   As I recall, it was a retro-fix by Pelle to disconnect pin 4 (digital ground) from pin 3 (analog ground), since it's connected internally anyway by a small resistance.

I think it adds a certain charm to a quite striking little build.
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

Your memory serves you well Marc, if we could only harness our ability to remember build details into remembering birthdays and anniversaries i guess we'd need to respond to fewer names  :icon_mrgreen:

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

duck_arse

well, we all know madmags birthday now.
don't make me draw another line.

Perrow

I'm not sure that'll please my girlfriend  ::)

:icon_mrgreen:

madmag

I forgot to give a shout out to John C. at planetz.com.  That's a great site, which, among other things, gave me the knowledge and confidence to drill my own enclosure and attempt the waterslide decals...

madmag

..also thanks to Joe Gagan for sharing his Easy Face circuit ... I love that blend mod...Awesome stuff!  I plan on using that on my Rangemaster....

petey twofinger

a recent tip i read and i cant remember who gave it , you take the pots and stomp switch and place them in the chassis holes upside down .

so the box is sitting on the desk , the normal way with the top up .

place the pots and switch in there from the top , so the bottom of the pot is facing the ceiling .

then wire it up .

makes sense , seems a bit easier , the person who shared this tip said it was the first time they enjoyed the process of final wiring , or something to that effect .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Perrow

Quote from: petey twofinger on March 28, 2013, 01:29:16 AM
place the pots and switch in there from the top , so the bottom of the pot is facing the ceiling .

Make sure your layout is symmetrical ;D

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

davent

Nicely done John.

From R.G. Keen and John Lyons got the idea to use a wiring jig. I use 1/16" plywood but all you need is a piece of box board. Print out your drill guide, glue it to your board, drill the holes, mount your pots,switches etc and wire away, works great.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

madmag

Thanks everyone for the welcomes, and Dave and Petey for the tips. Very helpful....

I will employ them on my next build...which was to be a Rangemaster (with input blend), but after breadboarding it, I was surprised to find it....uninspiring.  I sort of knew what  i was getting into--it's not an overdrive but a treble booster, but I guess deep down I was looking for some magical mojo...maybe I really want an overdrive... now what to do with a single Germanium, hfe 83.... ???

So I'm planning on another fuzz...a Merkin... I guess second  builds go into the regluar pictures thread...?

Dave:  what's your secret on that enclosure artwork?