First Build - "Franken-Dan" .....

Started by toejammer, March 23, 2013, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toejammer

Finally finished my first build and found a decent use for an old Danelectro Chili Dog enclosure. Still have to fabricate a base for it, since the original one won't fit w/ all the crap I've got in there. Used a schematic from the Matsumin LM386 distortion thread - basically just the distortion stage. My soldering skills suck, but it works, and nothing blew up !!  :icon_mrgreen:

I need a smaller tip on my soldering iron........ and some practice.  :-[

MovingInSloMo

ow practice soldering.. but yay for finishing something that works! Gotta be a first step somewhere

petey twofinger

cool lil project . i admit i am ignorant to the chili dog ... i think its an octaver ? personally i have a bad relationship with lm386 chips because i am a goof / hack . the release is always a bit bad news , and i play sloooow . i tried a 386 amp and it turned out a much better theramin .

when i have holes like that , i use some masking tape on the outside , then fill them with hot glue or epoxy .

with the hot glue , light from an led will shine thru it . it looks a bit different and i used this "trick" when i had a rectangular slot to fill . ( old cd rom box chassis in a mini amp head )

its best to wait a while to let the hot glue fully cure . if you hurry and rip the tape off it looks gnarly , i did reheat the glue with flame and it cured nice and opaque , if thats the proper word , but ...

i too started with radio shack perf boards but i know use vero , and i think its a bit easier , for me any way .

have fun !

just a thought .

but i use flux too , mind you i do remove it when i am finished , but i have found using flux , well its my thing .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

marley459

thats awesome man I put my first pedal in a gutted brat pedal(thats the rat's cheaper younger brother) just to test it out. Welcome to the hobby. Buy some enclosures at www.taydaelectronics.com or at www.pedalpartsplus.com. PPP has already painted and drilled ones.

kingswayguitar

kudos for sharing your first pics
any sound clips?