Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Opto-FETs in the audio path

Started by midwayfair, March 27, 2013, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artifus

merlinb

Quote from: Jazznoise on April 23, 2013, 05:06:09 PM
Not too dig this up, but is Fig. 12 not the same idea as using it as an input attenuator?

Not exactly. Notice that even if the FET is completely off, the voltage across it is not equal to the total input voltage; it is instead attenuated by the divider formed by the two series resistors. If you size those resistors correctly, then even with your maximum input signal amplitude the voltage across the FET will still be small enough to avoid distortion.

midwayfair

I note that this discussion has gone a bit beyond my understanding. :)

Carry on.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

samhay

Quote from: merlinb on April 23, 2013, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: Jazznoise on April 23, 2013, 05:06:09 PM
Not too dig this up, but is Fig. 12 not the same idea as using it as an input attenuator?

Not exactly. Notice that even if the FET is completely off, the voltage across it is not equal to the total input voltage; it is instead attenuated by the divider formed by the two series resistors. If you size those resistors correctly, then even with your maximum input signal amplitude the voltage across the FET will still be small enough to avoid distortion.

Neat solution. If you make the resistor to the (-) input of the op-amp say 10x smaller than the resistor preceding it, then you only have 10% of the signal voltage across the FET.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Jazznoise

O.k, that's a clever trick! Summers approaching, though I've a recording gig at the end of May: expect me to actually get off my ass and do something with this information by June!  :icon_lol:
Expressway To Yr Null