ON/OFF Timer for an Auto Killswitch/Stutter Pedal?

Started by Jasonmatthew911, March 30, 2013, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpm

Quote from: Gurner on April 10, 2013, 03:06:46 PM
Quote from: cpm on April 10, 2013, 02:20:00 PM
Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: Gurner on April 10, 2013, 09:36:53 AM
From recollection, the Tiny trem works only on high Z sources...as soon as you put an effect inline (in front), your signal then becomes Low Z & it's effect is somewhat nulled.

There must be a simple way to change this, right?...Because I noticed that the Idiotbox Cyclops Mono stutter is a circuit based on the simple 555/LDR/LED combo and I saw many demo videos where the idiotbox Cyclops and Mad Doctor Stutter were placed after other effects and it still chops the signal very well.

yes, put a buffer to achieve a known impedance for the following stages

If you put a buffer in front of the tiny tremolo, that won't work as it'll make the High Z guitar signal, a low Z signal (which is the actual issue here  ...i.e. putting an effect pedal  before the tiny tremolo essentially makes your guitar's signal signal Low Z)...putting a buffer in front of the tiny tremolo would would then need a circuit re-design to make it work ...but then it wouldn't be the tiny tremolo - e.g. check out the component count of the tremolo SD posted a couple of posts above (& I dare say "The not so tiny tremolo" hasn't quite the same appeal!)

true, but a known impedance makes a reliable function of the LDR (recalculating values), and lower output impedance will play well with the rest of the chain.

a simple hack would be adding an inpur resistor, to make more like a pot: the combined resistor and LDR, and the wiper on the middle junction
A sufficiently big resistor (100k .. 1Meg...) would make any precedent impedance negligible, but... it wont swing to full volume, and following impedance will make less volume indeed when paralelled. Now the problem would be dealing with a high output Z

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 05:16:51 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/jasonmatthew911/Cyclops_Inside.png

So it depends on what you expect from an overly simplstic circuit, talk about tradeoffs.
I think sometime it was noted some tremolo that actuated only by adding a DC level on the output, so the input stage of a tube amp would shift bias. Thats simple and clever, but no way reliable.

Gurner

Quote from: cpm on April 10, 2013, 05:45:37 PM

true, but a known impedance makes a reliable function of the LDR (recalculating values), and lower output impedance will play well with the rest of the chain.

Oh, I agree, it's better to work with a low impedance signal, but adding a buffer means changing the circuit, changing the circuit means it's then not a low parts count tiny tremolo!

Quote from: cpm on April 10, 2013, 05:45:37 PM

a simple hack would be adding an inpur resistor, to make more like a pot: the combined resistor and LDR, and the wiper on the middle junction
A sufficiently big resistor (100k .. 1Meg...) would make any precedent impedance negligible, but... it wont swing to full volume, and following impedance will make less volume indeed when paralelled. Now the problem would be dealing with a high output Z

I can't recall what the dark resistance of a typical LDR is, but I'd imagine adding a high value resistor in series with the LDR would result in a significant guitar signal volume drop? (btw: I recall mentioning in the somewhat long 'tiny tremolo thread', that rolling off the guitar's volume pot will give a more pronounced tremolo effect, because rolling down the guitar volume places some series resistance in front of the LDR)

Jasonmatthew911

Should this be in the Tiny Tremolo thread? haha

Gurner

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 06:23:43 PM

Well you started it...!!

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 12:11:11 AM
I finally ended up breadboarding the Tiny Trem circuit and it seems to be working as intended, as long as I use it by itself or in front of other pedals as the first effect in the signal chain...As soon as I connect an overdrive or fuzz before the tiny trem, it seems like the Tiny Trem circuit gets completely ignored, like it gets bypassed or something, cuz you won't even hear the clicking sound in the background...To me it seems like when my distorted signal gets to the input of the LDR it just goes right through the output unaffected by the LDR/LED/555 circuit, since the input and output are connected to the same leg of the LDR on my breadboard...I have no dpdt switch connected at the moment...I'm doing all testing by connecting my overdrive pedals directly into the Breadboarded Tiny Trem circuit...This behavior makes no sense to me, as I've seen this type of effect connected after most pedals and the stuttering is very noticeable on any effect before this, as it should be turning all other effects on and off that are before it...This kind of effect should work best around the end of the signal chain, but right now for me it's only working as the first effect in the signal chain.....Does anyone have an idea why this is happening or what my issue is?

Shouldn't that have been?  :icon_mrgreen:

Jasonmatthew911

Quote from: Gurner on April 10, 2013, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 06:23:43 PM

Well you started it...!!

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on April 10, 2013, 12:11:11 AM
I finally ended up breadboarding the Tiny Trem circuit and it seems to be working as intended, as long as I use it by itself or in front of other pedals as the first effect in the signal chain...As soon as I connect an overdrive or fuzz before the tiny trem, it seems like the Tiny Trem circuit gets completely ignored, like it gets bypassed or something, cuz you won't even hear the clicking sound in the background...To me it seems like when my distorted signal gets to the input of the LDR it just goes right through the output unaffected by the LDR/LED/555 circuit, since the input and output are connected to the same leg of the LDR on my breadboard...I have no dpdt switch connected at the moment...I'm doing all testing by connecting my overdrive pedals directly into the Breadboarded Tiny Trem circuit...This behavior makes no sense to me, as I've seen this type of effect connected after most pedals and the stuttering is very noticeable on any effect before this, as it should be turning all other effects on and off that are before it...This kind of effect should work best around the end of the signal chain, but right now for me it's only working as the first effect in the signal chain.....Does anyone have an idea why this is happening or what my issue is?

Shouldn't that have been?  :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah it's my fault...This thread is related at least