Author Topic: How to Add an external footswitch added to a 3PDT?  (Read 4683 times)

tombaker

How to Add an external footswitch added to a 3PDT?
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Hi all,
I want to add an external footswitch via a 1/4" jack to a racked up fuzz face/DI box I have.
The effect in/bypass switch is a 3PDT switch, not a footswitch and I want to add a 1/4" jack footswitch connection for use in live situations.

I'm not sure how to wire this into the 3PDT switch, any help would be appreciated.
Blue Box, Harmonic Perculator, Brian May Treble Boost, Klon Vero, Fuzz Face Germ/Sili, Echo Base Delay, CS-3 Monte Allums Mod, JLM 1290 Mic Pres, JLM Mono Mic Pres, Engineer's Thumb, A/B/C & A/B boxes, Tiny Giant Amp, Microamp

greaser_au

Re: How to Add an external footswitch added to a 3PDT?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
Hi all,
I want to add an external footswitch via a 1/4" jack to a racked up fuzz face/DI box I have.
The effect in/bypass switch is a 3PDT switch, not a footswitch and I want to add a 1/4" jack footswitch connection for use in live situations.

I'm not sure how to wire this into the 3PDT switch, any help would be appreciated.

As long as this isn't something rare and of (commodity) value, I'd suggest this is a job for a relay (if you are not battery powered), or R.G.'s Millenium bypass (see R.G.s site http://www.geofex.com/ for an absolute treasure trove of things effects related). If the 3rd contact is just for the LED,  you only need a DPDT relay, and then to power the LED from the same part of the circuit that controls the relay.

A shot of the innards of the switch wiring, or a schematic would be a help (so we can show you what you need to do!).

david

KORGULL

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »
Another idea to consider, which doesn't even require tampering with your existing gear, is to build a true bypass loop box.

You leave your rack unit on all the time, route it through the send/return of the true bypass looper which is now used to switch the rack unit in/out of the signal chain with your foot.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:22:48 PM by KORGULL »

tombaker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:29:30 AM »
thanks guys,
I thought about the true bypass loop but i'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. As always. Jeez I wish I had some money.
Anyway, I looked at the millennium bypass and realised I could just split the single before the effect board and wire in a 1/4" jack between the in and out jacks, this way if I want to use the footswitch I can just turn the effect on and plug the SPST footswitch in. When I want it bypassed I can just hit the pedal.
Cheers
Blue Box, Harmonic Perculator, Brian May Treble Boost, Klon Vero, Fuzz Face Germ/Sili, Echo Base Delay, CS-3 Monte Allums Mod, JLM 1290 Mic Pres, JLM Mono Mic Pres, Engineer's Thumb, A/B/C & A/B boxes, Tiny Giant Amp, Microamp