What is your least favorite part of building?

Started by Ghost Planet, April 10, 2013, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Oh here's another one: Not being able to use whatever it is in the real world. As in anywhere besides in my office/workroom/studio.

CodeMonk

electrosonic

Dropping a part on the floor and spending ten minutes looking for it.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

puretube

Quote from: Hemmel on April 11, 2013, 03:04:12 PM
Quote from: GGBB on April 11, 2013, 02:57:38 PM
(...) and cutting pot shafts.

Aaaaugh those frikkin little thingies you have to cut off pots !!!! Why do they put those ? I've only had to do about 10, and haven't even finished my first pedal, and I'm already annoyed !!!

turn that pot a little too far, and you`ll know where it ends...

Mark Hammer

1) Finishing it, firing it up, and having to come here, hat in hand, to ask for advice about why it's not working....after shooting my mouth off like a big shot know-it-all for 20k posts.

2) Second to that would likely be working feverishly, FINALLY finishing it around 11:15PM on a work night, and it doesn't work, but it's too late to trouble shoot and make noise***.

3) Realizing I am 1 or 2 resistors or caps or pots shy of being able to finish after recently placing an order or visiting a store where I could have got them, but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

4) Breaking the last carbide drill bit I had in that size...and its Sunday.

***Recently bought a Danelctro Hodad that has a headphone output so I can do audio probes after everyone is in bed.

Pyr0

Painting and labeling the enclosures, I don't have a workshop so have to do it outdoors and am at the mercy of the weather. At this time of the year it can take me a week to paint one.

Also in a weird and sadistic way, I kind of don't like it when they work first time, gotta love a bit of debuging.

pakrat

deadastronaut

Quote from: Keppy on April 11, 2013, 01:41:09 PM

So you only like etching the PCB?
[/quote]

yep...but i lied about the whiskey. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

timd

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 11, 2013, 04:07:51 PM
Oh here's another one: Not being able to use whatever it is in the real world. As in anywhere besides in my office/workroom/studio.
How so?

Hemmel

Quote from: puretube on April 11, 2013, 07:07:39 PM
turn that pot a little too far, and you`ll know where it ends...

You mean you really use that little stub to "lock" the pot in place ??
Bââââ.

jdub

Not being able to fit all (30+) of my builds on my dinky pedalboard at once... ;D

Or realizing that the awesome box that I just spent 2 weeks on will probably not be used that much  :'(
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

R O Tiree

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 11, 2013, 07:33:52 PM
4) Breaking the last carbide drill bit I had in that size...and its Sunday.

I feel your pain... although it happened to me just before Christmas. Couldn't get replacements until about Jan 5th :(
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

duck_arse

from the start: stop drawing things. stop changing values. stop adding more pots/ oscillators/ fets doing things.

next: the vero layout. I hate vero, I hate trying always to use ALL those holes, rubbing out my diagram, start again, etc

next: cutting/ sanding/ cutting the vero. now the board is ready for parts, lose interest for a week.

next: finally start soldering, get to the adding wires, another week lost interest.

next: see above re. cutting/bending/drilling metal or wood for box. or painting.

next: the final work for the panel, lettering etc.

so now, eveything just needs to be put IN the box, and the lid closed, lose interest for another week, start something else, etc.

one year later, scavange parts for something else. lose interest again. etc, again. thay are my least favourite parts of building.

and colours.
don't make me draw another line.