Minimizing hiss in wah pedals?

Started by Mark Abbott, April 21, 2013, 08:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Abbott

This is a tough question but what areas of a wah pedal are most sensitive to hiss. The hiss occurs when the pedal is depressed.

Mark

artifus

wah is (usually) a band pass filter. treadle is connected to pot that changes centre frequency of filter. heel down = low frequency, toe down = high frequency. hiss is high frequency (from upper mid to beyond hearing). when toe down you are boosting hiss.

Seljer

I redid the wiring in my wah with shielded cables to and form the bypass switch and potentiometer. I believe it lowered the noise floor enough that the difference was noticeable.

joegagan

customers who have come over to try out my custom wah builds have commented that my wahs have less hiss than the commercial counterparts they are comparing them to. i don't have any solid facts to suggest what is causing this, except a few possible things
- some of my wahs are tuned a wee bit lower voiced, they don't go as far into ear bleed treble.
- i use transistors in the 180 - 200 hfe range. is it possible that the lower gain transistor, even when boosted via a lower Q1 E to ground R are quieter overall?
-some of my builds also use shielded in/out wires to and from the switch with common ground at the switch side.
-short wire runs
-minimal parts count, ie; no buffer.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Paul Marossy

It has been my experience that it has to do with transistors you use. Generally, the higher Hfe = the more hiss you have. It really comes out when you have a high gain distortion in conjunction with high Hfe transistors in the wah pedal.

Mark Abbott

The transistors in the wah are BC547C's, I had thought of using 2N3904's as they have a gain of 100 and they sound pretty good in most effects.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3904.pdf

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/BC547-190204.pdf

Good to hear from you again Joe, it has been a while. ;D

Mark

merlinb

Most popular DIY wahs use BJTs, which have high current noise. They're a fundamentally poor choice for use with guitar pickups; it's the price you pay for using 1960s technology. The frequency response of the wah will make the hiss sound even more noticable.
The answer is to use a JFET buffer (or JFET input opamp buffer), which have very low current noise. This converts the high source impedance of the guitar to a low source impedance suitable for driving the BJTs, so their current noise is no longer significant. Amplifying the signal a bit first too, will help, if you can sacrifice the headroom.
You can also minimise the BJT current noise by choosing a high gain transistor with a high Ic(max) rating, such as the BC337 or ZTX653.

joegagan

doug h may not toot his own horn on this thread, but he was on the jfet buffer for wah many years back. great minds think alike, thank you merlin b.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Keppy

I have a Vox wah that only hisses with a wall wart, not a battery. If you haven't checked yours on battery power, you may discover that power supply filtering is what you need.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Mark Abbott

Thanks for the replies Merlin and Joe. It's funny as I use to pull out the first transistor buffer from a Crybaby wah pedal ( the buffer to prevent the tone sucking effect.) I found FET followers worked much better and I increased the value of the input cap so the wah sounded fatter to boot. I'll try implementing a FET follower. I've the annoying noise was the pot starting to sound scratchy.

Mark

joegagan

zombiwoof

Quote from: Mark Abbott on April 26, 2013, 04:19:58 AM
The transistors in the wah are BC547C's, I had thought of using 2N3904's as they have a gain of 100 and they sound pretty good in most effects.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3904.pdf

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/BC547-190204.pdf

Good to hear from you again Joe, it has been a while. ;D

Mark

According to the Fuzz Central page on the Clyde McCoy wahs, he says it's best to use transistors in the 300-400 hfe range with the stock Vox/Cry Baby circuit to achieve the vintage sound (along with the right inductor and component values).  Dunlop changes a resistor value to make up for their use of the high gain transistor they usually use (MSA18 I think), they have something like 800 hfe or so as I recall.  BC109B's are suggested often, as their gains usually run in the recommended gain range.

Al

Mark Abbott

Yeah Joe, it wasn't your typical scratchy pot noise, the noise wasn't apparent until the note died right down. It also sounded more like an induced noise rather than a scratchy pot, I suspect the hiss may have been a little louder when the pot was dirty or perhaps it didn't seem so loud once the scratchiness was gone? I'm a little surprised as I hadn't used it a lot. I've cleaned it with De Oxit a couple of times and I'll see how I go. The wah sounded like it was distorting too, very much like the Jeff Beck track You shook me.

Mark

P.S. Merlin I'd love to see your take on a wah pedal, I'm building your compressor now.