The 'Gilmour' Build Guide (Deluxe Electric Mistress V4 Clone)

Started by GGBB, April 24, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreidesheir

Govmnt_Lacky

The link is on page 2. Just look for the "download document" link.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pakrat

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 03, 2013, 12:09:27 PM
Anyone have any news on builds of this to share?

Interested in seeing other success stories  ;D

I plan to build this soon Gov, just received my IC's and transformer today  ;D

stallik

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

stallik

Thanks. Ordered.  No idea why my ebay searches resulted in nothing... Will let you know when it's built
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Govmnt_Lacky

Any news on recent builds of this?

I threw mine on the pedal board yesterday. I just dont think you will find a smoother flanger than this  ;)

You wont get up to the jet swoosh like the MXR or the A/DA but, if you are looking for subtle to mid level flanging than this is PERFECT!

Now... lets see those builds boys!  ;D

stallik

My RD5160A's have arrived, will make the board tomorrow then find out what else is missing...

haveyouseenhim

Mine is still unfinished as far as the finish goes, but I still use it plenty. I really don't even want to think about taking it apart to paint it. It's a REALLY tight fit in the 1590BB. I'm thinking about just wrapping it in leather to avoid having to take it apart. Plus a few people have asked me to make a tutorial on how to wrap enclosures in leather without seams.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: stallik on July 02, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
My RD5160A's have arrived, will make the board tomorrow then find out what else is missing...

Other than the RD5106, the transformer (if you choose to build that version), and the 15uF NP cap... everything else is pretty common to most DIY builds.

Can't wait to see it AND hear it  ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

BTW...

If anyone is interested in building this and needs the RD5106, RD5107 (if you want to try the double clock mod), or the transformer.... let me know and we can work something out.

I really want to see Gord's and my brainchild flourish! (Mostly Gord's though  :icon_rolleyes:)

GGBB

I just want to see more of them built so that I work up the energy (and courage) to try the mini version in the 1590N1 box.  I've had 5 pedals planned for this summer plus two rebuilds (new PCBs and some tweaks) and it's already July and I've only just breadboarded the first one two weeks ago.  I need some inspiration to light a fire under my butt.  Of course, the layouts are done for all but one of them already  :icon_redface:.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Rats! Going to be a delay on mine now I've realised the layout won't fit my standard box or layout. I have to redraw the pcb image anyway as I'm still cutting out on vinyl to create the mask. I'll just have to move a couple of things about in the transformer/footswitch area (I think) but I want to double check there will be room for me to place the pots where I want them.... Either way I consider myself officially started

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: stallik on July 03, 2013, 09:00:52 AM
...I've realised the layout won't fit my standard box or layout.

Which size enclosure are you planning to use? Each of Gord's layouts were specifically tailored to fit into either a 1590BBS (although Mike/haveyouseenhim did it in a standard BB) or, if you are brave enough, a 125B/1590N1.

Also, are you planning to build the transformer, or one of the non-transformer versions?

stallik

It's any eddystone version which I get at Maplin in the UK.  The sides angle a bit and i'm not sure the dimensions are the same as the standard boxes. It's not just the size of the box but the placement of the controls. It's a little a bit OCD but I really want to keep the knobs and footswitch in the same position across my pedals. Also, for more practical reasons, I want the jacks along the top of the box. There! I've admitted it I really want it to look as good as it sounds, at least on my pedalboard.

One day I'll get a life......

Once I've successfully built it I will post the artwork in case it's useful

GGBB

Quote from: stallik on July 03, 2013, 09:44:42 AM
It's any eddystone version which I get at Maplin in the UK.  The sides angle a bit and i'm not sure the dimensions are the same as the standard boxes. It's not just the size of the box but the placement of the controls. It's a little a bit OCD but I really want to keep the knobs and footswitch in the same position across my pedals. Also, for more practical reasons, I want the jacks along the top of the box. There! I've admitted it I really want it to look as good as it sounds, at least on my pedalboard.

Which Eddystone?  According to the online datasheets, the 29830PSLA is very close to the Hammond 1590BB - a hair shallower but slightly larger otherwise.  The 26908PSLA is a deeper version - even deeper than the Hammond 1590BBS.  The Hammonds have slightly angled sides too.

You can always cut the transformer/footswitch section of the board completely off if you need some placement flexibility - EDIT: but don't forget to think about how to support the board!  I provided solder pads for everything even when that part is removed.  If you're using a transformer, you can also build the "AC" version (no transformer) and connect the transformer outs to the AC input pads - this will allow you to cut the board and still use a transformer.  If you're going with DC power. again - the board can be cut off to provide flixibility.

Note that most of the electro caps can be folded for height considerations.

Let me know if I can be of any help with the layout mods you need.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Thanks for offer. I'm looking forward to this build because it will be the first one I've put together that will have little or no wiggle room. I could build the 12/24v version and save a lot of hassle but where's the fun in that?
When I've finalised my changes, I'll run it by you to check for silly mistakes if that's ok

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: stallik on July 03, 2013, 09:44:42 AM
It's any eddystone version which I get at Maplin in the UK.  The sides angle a bit and i'm not sure the dimensions are the same as the standard boxes. It's not just the size of the box but the placement of the controls. It's a little a bit OCD but I really want to keep the knobs and footswitch in the same position across my pedals. Also, for more practical reasons, I want the jacks along the top of the box. There! I've admitted it I really want it to look as good as it sounds, at least on my pedalboard.

You still have not mentioned if you are putting it into a 1590BB-type OR a 125B-type.

If you are doing the 1590BBS w/ the transformer, I was able to assemble the prototype with ALL pots in a row and both jacks on the top.

GGBB

Quote from: stallik on July 03, 2013, 11:05:57 AM
When I've finalised my changes, I'll run it by you to check for silly mistakes if that's ok

Happy to help.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Still no new builds?

I really thought this build was going to be a "must have!"  :-\