Would this guitar switch box work?

Started by wsal, May 12, 2013, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsal

Hey guys,
I do a bit of theatre pit playing, and often just arrive to find 1 XLR plug awaiting my gear. Sometimes though, I have to switch between electric and acoustic, down the 1 line, which is kinda difficult. My usual electric setup is guitar > pedalboard > amp > line-out into H&K Redbox (Cab sim DI). As you can imagine, sending an acoustic guitar pickup signal through this setup is gunna sound pretty lame!

So I was wondering if a custom made box like this would work:

So when the switch is in the top position, the signal chain is Electric > pedalboard > amp in > line-out to DI in
In the bottom position, it's Acoustic > DI in with DI thru going to the amp in for foldback.

Would I be able to use a DPDT switch for this? Or do the inactive inputs need to be grounded in this fashion:

thus requiring a 4PDT switch?
From the little bit of reading I've done, that wiring seems to be needed for when an AB switch is used to switch between 2 amps (so the inactive one doesn't hum). Haven't read anything about it being required to switch between 2 input sources...

Is there anything else I need to consider? Switch popping?
Cheers
Will

aron

From what you said, I think you only need the A/B switch.
Maybe the chain needs to be modified:

Guitar->pedalboard->amp->H&K->output A
Acoustic->output B
Then "input" goes to DI->PA

Still not sure how you have the acoustic DI setup. It might be that you really want 2 separate switching paths - then a 4PDT would offer you more flexibility.