Removing Plastic From Alpha Pots

Started by audiolife, May 14, 2013, 12:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiolife

Is there a way to remove the plastic backing that comes on Alpha pots? I'm repotting my guitar and need the back for grounding. Couldn't find anything in the search, thanks for your help!

J0K3RX

Quote from: audiolife on May 14, 2013, 12:56:36 AM
Is there a way to remove the plastic backing that comes on Alpha pots? I'm repotting my guitar and need the back for grounding. Couldn't find anything in the search, thanks for your help!

yeah, just pop it off...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

armdnrdy

Quote from: J0K3RX on May 14, 2013, 01:13:40 AM
yeah, just pop it off...

Despite his handle....He's not joking!

Get underneath the plastic with a small screwdriver and pop it off.
If your not going to reuse the dust cover for anything you can cut it off with a utility knife. But above all....be careful.

Disclaimer: A sharp object is anything with a sharp point or edge that could inflict injury or even death. Injury could be anything that breaks the skin, from a prick, a puncture, or a cut type wound or a screwdriver sticking out of your arm.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

chromesphere

As 'basic' as this question sounds, i have to say, i've had some of those pot condoms stuck on.  No amount of force or prying would get them off!  I had to get sidecutters and cut them off...it was ridiculous...doesnt happen all the time, but occasionally i get one that just wont budge...
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

Mark Hammer

You can certainly get the backs off but I don't know that it will put you any further ahead.  The back covers of the pots appear to be aluminum and largely unsolderable.  If you want to use the chassis as a ground connection, you may have better luck soldering to a washer on the inside of the guitar.

Alternatively, consider getting a piece of brass/copper shim and soldering to that, or some of that copper shielding tape.

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 14, 2013, 08:29:39 AM
You can certainly get the backs off but I don't know that it will put you any further ahead.  The back covers of the pots appear to be aluminum and largely unsolderable.  If you want to use the chassis as a ground connection, you may have better luck soldering to a washer on the inside of the guitar.

Alternatively, consider getting a piece of brass/copper shim and soldering to that, or some of that copper shielding tape.
Little bit of scuffing up and it should be possible, plenty of guitars have grounds soldered to the back of pots.

Although with a washer you can do some nice star grounding & shielding to keep the guitar all nice and quiet.

Perrow

Quote from: chromesphere on May 14, 2013, 02:06:28 AM
As 'basic' as this question sounds, i have to say, i've had some of those pot condoms stuck on.  No amount of force or prying would get them off!  I had to get sidecutters and cut them off...it was ridiculous...doesnt happen all the time, but occasionally i get one that just wont budge...

If you can't get the condom off you should probably have washed first ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

jymaze

You need to scuff the metal with 120 sandpaper in one spot to get a good grip for the solder and you should be fine. I even use a Dremel sandpaper drum-tip, very aggressive but quick.

Paul Marossy

I pick a spot and scrape off the coating in a small area with a small flathead screwdriver. Solders up just fine after that.

As mentioned, you could also use a piece of sandpaper too.

zombiwoof

Why did you buy the pots with the plastic cover on the back if you were going to use them in a guitar?.  You can get Alpha pots without those covers, and I don't think they are the best option for guitar pots anyway.  I would save them for pedals, and get some good guitar pots myself.

Al

Paul Marossy

Quote from: zombiwoof on May 14, 2013, 11:19:49 AM
Why did you buy the pots with the plastic cover on the back if you were going to use them in a guitar?.  You can get Alpha pots without those covers, and I don't think they are the best option for guitar pots anyway.  I would save them for pedals, and get some good guitar pots myself.

Al

They make pots with a plastic cover on them?! I thought the O.P. was referring to getting the coating off the back that prevents you from soldering to it. I don't know what that stuff is, some sort of lacquer or a polyurethane?

Perrow

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 14, 2013, 11:25:58 AM
They make pots with a plastic cover on them?! I thought the O.P. was referring to getting the coating off the back that prevents you from soldering to it. I don't know what that stuff is, some sort of lacquer or a polyurethane?

There's a plastic cover on the upper pot in this image. They can be removed and put back on but removing takes some force/tools.

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Paul Marossy

First time I've ever seen that.  :icon_confused:

GoranP

Paul Marossy

Quote from: GoranP on May 14, 2013, 12:42:07 PM
you can get these for cheap on taydaelectronics.com

I fail to see the point in having the plastic cover on it. Is it supposed to "seal" up the pot or something?

davent

Prevents shorts with free floating circuit boards. SmallBear also sell the covers seperately.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Paul Marossy

Quote from: davent on May 14, 2013, 01:44:45 PM
Prevents shorts with free floating circuit boards. SmallBear also sell the covers seperately.

I suppose so. But there's lots of other things a free floating circuitboard could short out on...

psychedelicfish

the cover also keeps dust out of the pot, so it takes longer to get scratchy
If at first you don't succeed... use bigger transistors!

rullywowr

You can pop em off with your thumbnail or use a small pair of pliers too. If you are soldering to the back, scuff it up and apply some flux (using a flux pen us ideal. )
DIY Pedal PCB projects IN STOCK
www.rullywow.com