Hi-voltage LND150 bass preamp

Started by okabass, September 06, 2016, 06:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okabass

Hi

I'm trying to make Hi-voltage MOSFET bass preamp in a pedal format. I'm using the LND150 around 260 volts and a flyback (?) PSU. And put in some tube emulator circuits. I'm interested to get "tube SOUND" as close as is possible with SS. I think to use Ampeg SVT/ V9 -type preamp but with MOSFETs. I don't need distortion or overdrive effect, although good overdrive doesn't hurt.

I'd like to know your opinion are those good for my goal? How about putting both around one MOSFET?

1) Using the triodizer (Schade feedback) to get triode type curves. Is that only for getting nice triode type curves? How about sound?
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/the_trioderizer_a_solid_state_triode.html

2) Fetzer valve/ D.Danyuk to get "3/2 law"
http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html#12
http://www.diale.org/pdf/Triode-Emulator-by-Dimitri-Danyuk.pdf

Thanks.

Transmogrifox

The best answer is all of the above.  Experiment and see if you can even hear the difference.  It may be "the sound" you are looking for is the frequency response of <name your favorite tube amp>. 

Or perhaps "the sound" you want isn't coming from the preamp but from power amp and output transformer.  In that case you're just making something superfluous (but still a preamp adds its own color).

It's hard to know if the "tube sound" when played clean is a result of the tube nonlinear characteristic or if it's the frequency response curve of a typical tube amp, etc.  It seems truly clean preamp tone whether tube or solid state is only subtly different.  If you usually push your preamp into mild clipping then you want something that has a more soft clipping characteristic, in which case you don't need to operate at 260V on a high voltage FET, but rather a small signal JFET circuit will do fine.

Make your "triode" on its own board.  One can be a Fetzer and the other can be the triodizer.

First tweak the triodizer to produce the same amount of gain as the Fetzer so you can rule that out.  Next do a listening test and see if you can tell the difference.

If you have any triodes it would be interesting if you were to swap these in and see if you can tell a difference.

If you don't want to experiment then probably the radio electronics triodizer is your best bet because it is meant to be a direct triode replacement.  I would expect it to work without much fooling about as a direct replacement for a real triode in a high voltage application.

I also recommend your flyback converter operates >100 kHz.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

rankot

Quote from: okabass on September 06, 2016, 06:09:08 AM
I'm trying to make Hi-voltage MOSFET bass preamp in a pedal format. I'm using the LND150 around 260 volts and a flyback (?) PSU. And put in some tube emulator circuits. I'm interested to get "tube SOUND" as close as is possible with SS. I think to use Ampeg SVT/ V9 -type preamp but with MOSFETs. I don't need distortion or overdrive effect, although good overdrive doesn't hurt.

Any news on this?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!