Pitch/Detune Warble Pedal

Started by mountainsforclouds, May 20, 2013, 01:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Keeping with Mark's LFO modulation,

I built Scott Swartz's AD-3208 (actually 3205) for a friend and added a modulation board to it. It does a very good warble/detune to seasick modulation. You can adjust the speed of the modulation and make the modulation more subtle with the depth control.

It also does a decent chorus type sound.

There should be some threads here on the subject.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

patrick398

Sorry to bring this old thing back from the dead but was just wondering if anyone has thrown together a vero layout for the Jenny Greenteeth?
I'm working on a lo-fi junky 'approximation' pedal for a friend and my vero layouts aren't the most compact.

For anyone looking for a lo-fi junky alternative this actually does pretty well. I'm using electric druids stomp lfo for the modulation for extra variety and have removed some of the filtering on the pt2399 for extra lo-fi goodness.
Still on the breadboard so i might try put a dirty compressor of some sort before it.

ElectricDruid

Can we have a look at a schematic if you've got one? Or point me at a couple of the sources and tell me what you altered?

I've been thinking about doing a modulated PT2399 delay with the StompLFO, but I hadn't got to it - if someone else is already there, well, that's great!

T.

patrick398

It's basically stock Jenny Greenteeth minus the LFO section obviously. I replaced the 100k on the output of the stomplfo with a 3M3+1M into the base of 2N3904. 510R off the emitter to ground, 100n off base to ground (not actually sure that serves any purpose, just put it there on a whim and forgot to take it out). Collector to pin 6 of pt2399. I didn't think 3904 would work but its surprisingly good. Tried BC337 but that sounds awful, maybe a bad batch.

I've got also got a jumper bypassing the 10k off pin 14 so it's full vibrato mode. Removing the jumper you get a very cool chorus.

If anyone's interested in the extra 'lo-fi' sound, i've got a 22n between pin 9-10, 560p between 11-12, nothing between 13-14, and stock 2.2n between 15-16.

I've ommited the latch up protection part of the original schem, not had any problems but perhaps i should have it there?

If i remember correctly, Karen Columbo was working on a pt2399 chrous using the stomplfo?

BluffChill

I'm currently developing a circuit that uses a PT2399 with a very slow LFO which modulates the clock's chip. Stay tuned - look out for the 'Kaiser Janus' :)

Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

patrick398

Modulates your clock's chip eh? So it tells the time incorrectly?  ;)
Seriously though man, sounds cool. Look forward to hearing/seeing it.

I'm currently drawing up a layout for the jenny greenteeth, so if anyone wants it grab yourself a 1590DD enclosure and you might just about be able to squeeze it in.

EBK

This thread reminds me that I have all the parts to build a Pitch Pirate Deluxe.  It's on my list of things to do.... eventually. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

BetterOffShred

I may pick up one of those Pedalpcb boards.  I've also lusted after one for a while

merlinb

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 13, 2018, 04:13:37 PM
Can we have a look at a schematic if you've got one?
Looks like the old link is dead. Jenny Greenteeth schematic here:
http://valvewizard.co.uk/jennygreenteeth.html#

patrick398

That's the schem i've been working off. Just finished a vero layout for my attempt at a LO-FI Junky workaround using it.
I'm not very good with layouts so if anyone can suggest ways of making it smaller that would be very much appreciated.
I've also got a DOD 280 optical compressor on another board which i'll run after this. It's a pretty good approximation to my ears.

Changes i've made:
100n and 10n caps on a switch between pins 11/12 of the pt2399 for a bright/normal switch.
Omitted the 2.2n cap between 13/14 for extra lo-fi...ness.
10k resistor and 'wet' switch on pt2399 replaced with 10k pot so move between chorus and vibrato.
10k into 1M off the output of the STOMPLFO into base of 2N3906, 510R off emitter to ground, collector into pin6 of pt2399.

Sorry i haven't got a schematic at the moment, doing this vero layout has fried my brain.

The person i'm building this for wants it in a 1590B but with 2 boards, 5 pots, and a switch i'm starting to think it might be a tad ambitious .

duck_arse

patrick - you have a 100R at row 13 seems connected one end only. you should be able to shave 3 or 4 columns off the right hand side, anywhere you have a cut, either shift the cut to where a component will cover it, or shift a component to cover the cut. cuts use a solder point, so put them where they don't matter, ie under a part.

right of the PT, for example - swap the outer 10k w/ the 15k, then move the cut in one col. then the 10nF and the 100nF can both come in 1 col. the 1uF on col 16 and its standing resistor can both come in 4 cols. the topmost 10uF can cme in to col 11, shit the cuft to under the 100R, and move the 100k in - somewhere.

repeat, ad nauseum.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: patrick398 on June 15, 2018, 09:58:25 AM
The person i'm building this for wants it in a 1590B but with 2 boards, 5 pots, and a switch i'm starting to think it might be a tad ambitious .
Is this for a very good friend?  I'm convinced that just about anything will fit in a 1590B, with proper motivation.  :icon_wink:

Some people probably feel the same about the 1590A. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

patrick398

Quote from: EBK on June 15, 2018, 11:02:34 AM
Is this for a very good friend?  I'm convinced that just about anything will fit in a 1590B, with proper motivation.  :icon_wink:

Some people probably feel the same about the 1590A. 

Haha a new way to classify friends. I'll have to think very long and hard which are my 1590A friends.
Thanks for the help duck, got it down to 17x21 now which i think might just be doable. I'm sure it could be a lot smaller but not without a total redraw.

So a 17x21 + 19x12 vero sandwich on a bed of 5 pots, one switch, and a footswitch...oh and did i mention he wants the enclosure orientated vertically...
I'll fetch the swear jar.

duck_arse

pleeze - no slanty parts! swap the cap and resistor top left corner, just for me.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

patrick398

ha that seems fair. Can't believe i didn't think of that

There we go :) Will record some sound clips with it going into the compressor when/if i get it working

ElectricDruid

If you're really trying to squeeze it down, you could drop the 1K/100n's on the StompLFO. They're "best practice" rather than "essential" and it'll work fine without them. The chip uses digital filtering on the CV inputs anyway, so it's not as necessary to include external filters as it was on some of my earlier chips.

T.

Boba7

Nice project! I might try and build one!

How does the Stomplfo work in that circuit Patrick? Any update since your last post? :)

Boba7

I mean, does it work well? Does the lfo have a good range?
The transistor you used is a 2306 right?

If you have any soundclips, even poor quality, I'd love to hear them!

patrick398

Quote from: Boba7 on April 24, 2019, 11:53:58 PM
I mean, does it work well? Does the lfo have a good range?
The transistor you used is a 2306 right?

If you have any soundclips, even poor quality, I'd love to hear them!

Yeah i think it sounds great, it's my favourite pedal. With the stompLFO it's very versatile as the chip has 8 selectable lfo waveforms. I think the circuit is a little different now than it was when i posted that layout. I don't use a bright/dark switch anymore but instead switch caps between pins 9 and 10. I'm in the process of designing some pcbs at the moment.
Here's the schematic:

I'll try and record some sound clips today

Boba7

Hey that's great, thanks a lot!! Seems like a really cool circuit!