Tight Metal - Reverse Engineer?

Started by J0K3RX, May 20, 2013, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: J0K3RX on June 02, 2013, 09:37:31 PM
Well, the schematic is verified anyway... good work jymaze and bajaman!!  :icon_wink:

I don't know about my layout but I believe the schematic is 100% correct!

Bread boarded TM buy ggedamed from "the other forum" :icon_mrgreen:

Like I posted earlier, here it is bread boarded from the schematic so, it is working! It has also been verified in Spice in another forum... But, like I also said, I don't know about the layout as I have not built it yet..??

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Ok, this is Very Verified, now! :icon_twisted: Probably my favorite high gain pedal!

I didn't go through all of the settings in my samples but it can do a lot!!! Very quiet pedal!!

Sh!tty samples. Used on-board cab sim - Chain was\ Guitar-> pedal with on-board cab sim-> PC-> Reaper DAW with some slight vst delay... No post EQ
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/TM1/TM2.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/TM1/TM3.mp3

Cab Simulator

TM Schematic

New Layout

New layout Transfer - May need scaling inside acrobat?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/TM1/TM%20Transfer%203.pdf

Enclosure etch

J0K3RX

I'm not using the FX loops... You can jumper them if you don't plan to install them.

Kipper4

Great work Jim. I wish I had your knowledge and know how.  Well done Sir
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

J0K3RX

Quote from: Kipper4 on July 21, 2013, 06:09:57 PM
Great work Jim. I wish I had your knowledge and know how.  Well done Sir

Thanks Rich! I can't take credit for this, it was really a group effort! Thanks to jymaze, bajaman and rcustoms in the "other forum" for all their help with this! and Lart for the bad@ss cab simulator!

If any body want's to know the details on the boost switch and whatever else just ask...

haveyouseenhim

I know exactly what I'm building next. :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

deadastronaut

f........g nice. :icon_twisted:

the lead sound comes through nicely too,without being fizzy/gatey, very cool.......cool licks btw man.  ;) :icon_twisted:

excellent work guys.... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Elijah-Baley

Old topic, but you know, no need open a new.

One of my far future project is a Wampler Triple Wreck pedal, I can build it on veroboard layout.
A good alternative for metal distortion is the Tight Metal but I can't print the PCB.
I found this link where I can use a PTH - Pass-Through Hole, (sorry I can't the right name). http://effectslayouts.blogspot.it/2015/08/amptweaker-tight-metal.html.
This layout seems UNVERIFIED.
Has somebody built it, or we can understand if the board is reliable?

Thank you!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

nickbungus

I've never heard/seen this.  My next build
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

strungout

Nice Job guys!

In the third video (with the circuit on the breadboard) you can hear some squeal when he tries to turn the (gain?) knob. Have you had any problems with oscillation?
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

J0K3RX

This subject sank into the abyss here for some reason (lack of interest) or whatever...  :icon_rolleyes: So, I didn't post any further updates here. The video was done early on in the process and has since been perfected and 100% verified by myself and scores of others.. I also got my hands on the Tight Rock and that has now been fully verified which wasn't hard since it's nearly identical to the TM with the exception of the SideTrak feature and a few part value changes. 

The schematic in this thread has a few minor mistakes on it that I later corrected one of which is R27 should be 4k7 instead of 1k5 which also appears to be incorrect on the effectslayouts blogspot as well. I have built this many times with many different add-ons and modifications and I have not had a single one of them have any problems with oscillation. As a matter of fact they all worked flawlessly and actually sound identical to the original and with some slight modifications they sound even better than the original! I can tell you straight away that you do not want to build one without the pots mounted on-board because this thing is a high gain monster! Also I would highly recommend NOT trying to put this thing on vero unless you enjoy a noisy, humming, buzzing, squealing, cross talking birds nest of insanity! FYI - It doesn't play nicely on a breadboard either! :icon_evil:

All of the ones I build now are double sided fab from OSH or places like that. I use metal film resistors most of the time and your choice of caps really makes a difference in this circuit.. I used to be a skeptic but this pedal made me a believer!

Anyway, you can make your own boards or you can swing on over to Grind Customs and get a really nicely designed board :icon_wink: And, the build doc has the correct schematic if you are just wanting to check that out..
http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/product/gcfx-aeons/

Oh, and just FYI... The Triple Wreck does not even come close to reaching the levels of brutality that this thing dishes out!!! Not even close... :icon_twisted:

Elijah-Baley

Thanks, J0K3RX. ;)

Eventually, I don't use a stripboard, but this kind of board, tinning the tracks with the solder.:

I never built on verobord these kind of high gain distortion pedals, just a Big Muff, A BSIAB II and a Fuzz Factory.

I don't know Grind Customs, the shipping cost for Italy is "Flat Rate", and it means... ?

Quote from: J0K3RX on August 05, 2016, 11:55:27 AM
Oh, and just FYI... The Triple Wreck does not even come close to reaching the levels of brutality that this thing dishes out!!! Not even close... :icon_twisted:

Really? :icon_eek:

«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

bluebunny

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on August 05, 2016, 01:00:38 PM
I don't know Grind Customs, the shipping cost for Italy is "Flat Rate", and it means... ?

"Zero"?  I just happened to pass by there and picked up a couple of PCBs a few minutes ago.  Zero shipping to UK, so I guess Italy would be the same.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Elijah-Baley

Zero costs? Sounds good! I hope no fee, duty or taxes added at the delivery. The PCB aeons cost just 10 $.
Thank you, blubunny, let us know if the delivery will be alright and quick.

LiLFX

Quote from: defaced on June 02, 2013, 10:22:48 AM
Your ground trace forms a ground loop around the perimeter of the board.  It will hum like a SOB like that.  You need to break it somewhere so the current only has _one_ path it can flow.

You sure about that? I work on boards all day with solid copper pours. The only problem I see with the copper pour are areas of the pour not connected to ground. Those areas can create little patch antennas that are capacitively coupled to the surrounding pads and traces.

J0K3RX

Quote from: LiLFX on August 05, 2016, 10:53:50 PM
Quote from: defaced on June 02, 2013, 10:22:48 AM
Your ground trace forms a ground loop around the perimeter of the board.  It will hum like a SOB like that.  You need to break it somewhere so the current only has _one_ path it can flow.

You sure about that? I work on boards all day with solid copper pours. The only problem I see with the copper pour are areas of the pour not connected to ground. Those areas can create little patch antennas that are capacitively coupled to the surrounding pads and traces.

You're just a little late to the party, that was a reply from 3 years ago...  :icon_lol:  No use debating that layout, ground loops, ground pour, unconnected islands etc.. It had a lot of issues and the ground pour was not one of them. I have removed it.   :icon_wink:

LiLFX

Woah...I didn't even see the age of the post. haha

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: LiLFX on August 06, 2016, 01:20:26 PM
Woah...I didn't even see the age of the post. haha

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on August 05, 2016, 07:21:04 AM
Old topic, but you know, no need open a new.

[...]

My bad, sorry. :icon_redface:

:)

deadastronaut

cool, glad to see this alive again....i did bread this, and was brutal,

i ended up ripping the gate out, though it was a cool feature  there was no real adjustment,

i also ripped out the tight pot section too

and ended up with pretty much a  bare bones schemo in the end....

just vol, tone gain...

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Elijah-Baley

If to buying from Grind Custom there's no added cost to the 10 $ to the board I could buy it with my next orders (in this winter?).

I would just to know one thing, can I use pot lugs with short wires instead those PCB mount pots? I drill my box by hand, I could to be not so precise, I prefer BB enclosures when I have 6 knobs and maybe to have more space inside the enclosure.