Trimpot on Fire!

Started by thehallofshields, August 04, 2013, 01:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 05, 2013, 12:57:26 PM
ALL electronics works because of MAGIC SMOKE!!  :icon_cool:

Once you let out the magic smoke... the electronics don't work anymore!

+1
See reply #60
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103542.60
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

thehallofshields

Hah. Didn't expect this to get so many replies. My gut reaction when I saw the smoke was "oh $&%#, I blew my amp!", so this was a bit of a relief.

I thought I had this positive-ground fuzz connected intelligently in series with a negative ground effect, but it looks like I've got more to learn. The trimpot only turns into a blazing yellow LED when the circuit shorts out, so there is more troubleshooting to do.

seedlings

Quote from: thehallofshields on August 05, 2013, 04:29:19 PM
Hah. Didn't expect this to get so many replies. My gut reaction when I saw the smoke was "oh $&%#, I blew my amp!", so this was a bit of a relief.

I thought I had this positive-ground fuzz connected intelligently in series with a negative ground effect, but it looks like I've got more to learn. The trimpot only turns into a blazing yellow LED when the circuit shorts out, so there is more troubleshooting to do.

I'm sure you came across this article, but it works very well for me.  Add a series resistor (I use a 10k trimmer) directly off the +9V jack to the + of a 1000uF cap (- of cap to ground), and then on to the modified fuzz circuit from the article.  Dial that resistance down just enough to tame.  This lowers the overall voltage to your fuzz, but the tone is good!

http://www.muzique.com/lab/fuzzface.htm

CHAD

*edit ... like this:

tubegeek

In other news, is anyone else considering "Trimpot On Fire" for either a band name or at the very least a song lyric?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

thehallofshields

Quote from: seedlings on August 05, 2013, 04:53:01 PM
I'm sure you came across this article, but it works very well for me.  Add a series resistor (I use a 10k trimmer) directly off the +9V jack to the + of a 1000uF cap (- of cap to ground), and then on to the modified fuzz circuit from the article.  Dial that resistance down just enough to tame.  This lowers the overall voltage to your fuzz, but the tone is good!

Okay I'm going to try adding some resistance between the +9v and the circuit! I've got a 100uf cap between the power supply and ground already, will additional capacitance help here? (I'm never sure what these 9v-0v caps actually do here.)

Also, if I can't fit the 10k trimmer, is there a fixed value you could recommend?

mistahead

Quote from: tubegeek on August 06, 2013, 06:56:35 PM
In other news, is anyone else considering "Trimpot On Fire" for either a band name or at the very least a song lyric?

Reggaecore band.

Do they have those?   :icon_wink:

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR