**The DIYStompboxes 10-Year Anniversary Contest Thread**

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Sorry... not trying to be an a-hole or anything. I thought your pedal was AMAZING! The first thing I did after seeing/hearing it was look to see how I could build my own or have some PCBs fabbed and that was when I noticed that there was no other way to do it other than to order them from you.

I deal with a fab house all the time and I can get GREAT discounts if I want a few boards made from time to time. That is why I suggested the Gerber share.   :icon_redface:

Although, I will say that everyone thus far that has shared a layout has done it completely and without a time limit. I would think that should be universal  ;D

It is up to the judges now and I will go with whatever they decide.  8)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

thofmann

@Greg: I do not think bad of you and you have every right to mention the rules in that case.
@Jon: Sorry for the confusion. Let me know what the judges decide on the requirements. I will try to align but what I do not want is that "my" boards do show up for sale from someone else on the net.
If this disqualifies me so be it.

Thomas
DIY-PCBs and projects:

~arph

Quote from: knutolai on August 29, 2013, 06:28:56 AM
Quote from: ~arph on August 14, 2013, 02:13:19 PM

Layout I used: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1849818/published_images/perf1.png
PLEASE NOTE: There is an error in the layout, don't use it. It is just for reference.

Cant wait to build this! Can we expect a updated layout at some point?  :icon_biggrin:

For those who want to know, C10 is not connected correctly, that's all. It should connect to pin 14 instead of pin 15.

And it' s C8 in the schem.

GGBB

Just a suggestion - couldn't thofmann's entry simply be considered as being submitted with a 3rd party PCB?  He'd not get the bonus points of course, but the rules don't require either an original layout or a non-commercial board, and these are after all commercial boards are they not?  Yes?  No?  I am an idiot?  :)

EDIT:  The idea here is so that he doesn't have to share the layouts or gerbers.
  • SUPPORTER

~arph

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: GGBB on August 29, 2013, 02:56:16 PM
Just a suggestion - couldn't thofmann's entry simply be considered as being submitted with a 3rd party PCB?  He'd not get the bonus points of course, but the rules don't require either an original layout or a non-commercial board, and these are after all commercial boards are they not?  Yes?  No?  I am an idiot?  :)

Quote:

"6) ) Circuit layouts do not have to be your own. You may use layouts designed by someone else, but designing your own will garner you substantial bonus points (see "Scoring," below). Builders who use a pre-existing layout for their build must give credit to the original layout designer (if known). The schematic, layout, and/or code must be made public with the contest entry.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

midwayfair

GUYS, WE ARE DISCUSSING IT. Seriously. Please don't speculate or post interpretations of the rules that might result in confusion for others!
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

Hemmel

Quote from: ~arph on August 29, 2013, 02:54:55 PM
For those who want to know, C10 is not connected correctly, that's all. It should connect to pin 14 instead of pin 15.

I think IC1 is shown the wrong way around. It shows pin 1 on top-right.
Bââââ.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: GGBB on August 29, 2013, 03:05:45 PM
Quote from: ~arph on August 29, 2013, 02:59:00 PM
Do you want all four answered?  8)

Just the last one really.   :icon_eek:

Gord....

You designed The Gilmour!!!!

Need I say more?  8)  :icon_mrgreen:

Liquitone

Here is my 2nd entry; the Deluxe Tremolo.

The idea of this pedal started when I read about the Cardinal Tremolo by Midwayfair. I had never heard of harmonic tremolo before, but it got my interest straight away.
After reading about what harmonic tremolo was and listening to a few examples on YouTube I decided I wanted to try and build one.
I took the non-scientific approach and connected my old standard trem to the breadboard and started playing with different value capacitors and resistors between the preamp- and output stage.
It didn't really sound like a harmonic tremolo so I ditched that idea, however the sounds I did get where interesting enough to keep the project going anyway.
Considering the low parts count of this addition to the standard tremolo I thought it might be possible fitting it inside the existing small 1590BB enclosure.
I decided on having only one additional knob for the extra preset sounds along the standard trem sound, instead of having too many knobs to tweak.
The old tremolo I designed using the building blocks of the uni-vibe, and with the capacitor back in place between the collector of Q3 and the base of Q4 it is now sort of a 1-stage uni-vibe/tremolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxnZ2B-8Kp4

Govmnt_Lacky

@Liquitone

I keep getting a playback error when I try to watch your demo for your second entry  :-\

Is it just me?

EDIT: Disregard.... I got it working. Great sounding Tremolo  8)

Liquitone

Thanks!

hmm weird you got errors, if more people are getting errors I'll look if anythings wrong. I tried to embed the video, but somehow I can't get that to work.

Jdansti

There's something funny going on with Youtube, but I was able to embed it:

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

midwayfair

Works on my Nexus in the you tube app but not in my browser.

Man, that's weird.  ???
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

thelonious

Quote from: midwayfair on August 29, 2013, 10:34:04 PM
Works on my Nexus in the you tube app but not in my browser.

Man, that's weird.  ???

Occasionally this sort of thing happens because of Flash issues. Apps might use HTML5 or use a video codec directly while some browsers use Flash. You can try updating Flash or go to http://youtube.com/html5 and opt in. Don't know if it will fix this problem or not.

~arph

Quote from: Hemmel on August 29, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: ~arph on August 29, 2013, 02:54:55 PM

I think IC1 is shown the wrong way around. It shows pin 1 on top-right.

Yes! Good catch

Perrow

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 29, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
@Liquitone

I keep getting a playback error when I try to watch your demo for your second entry  :-\

Is it just me?

EDIT: Disregard.... I got it working. Great sounding Tremolo  8)

I keep getting system overload errors when I'm looking at it, could someone please take it down. ;D
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

samhay

I can see Liquitone's second entry vid - very nice. Welcome to the DIY weird new tremolos club.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

deadastronaut

Just a heads up.. Remember there will be a bonus  framed sausage picture for the winner.

last time mustachio won it, and made a very emotional acceptance speech...

which is understandable, and also compulsory...... ;)

@thofman, nice box of tricks..cool build man. 8)
@liquid:  lovely trem,, deserves the word deluxe.  8)

EDIT 2:

as i'm off on my holidays saturday, i'll post the winners bonus prize now:

to the winner:  please print , sign and put up on your wall.

please do not copy if you are NOT the winner. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//