**The DIYStompboxes 10-Year Anniversary Contest Thread**

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pakrat on August 31, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
As far as the flanger goes, it's not extremely flang-y... flangerish? It's very subtle but still sounds like a flanger and that's pretty cool considering this is primarily a chorus pedal. Again, the audio in my vid doesn't do the flanger justice.  I could put together a vid of just the flanger if you want

No worries!  ;D

Throw one up if you want to. I have seen enough to say that I MUST BUILD!!!  :icon_twisted:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Stomptown

Hey guys, here is a link to the updated build doc for the tri-colored LED daughter board I used in my build for the contest. I have added a single sided layout for etching as well as a link to the shared double sided version through osh park. You can have 3 of them fabbed through osh park for under $9!

What is it?

The Tri-colored LED Daughter board uses a 3P4T rotary in place of an SPDT (on/off/on) toggle switch. It allows you to switch between modes and the led changes color with each mode. An example would be choosing between symetrical clipping, no clipping and asymetrical clipping on a modified tube screamer. Using the SW pad on the daughter board, the LED can also be turned off during bypass making the LED an on/off indicator for your stompbox as well.

here is a link to the updated build doc:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_GM88jXYKryRjZ1YTZyTExlLU0/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

pakrat

Thanks for that Stomptown, and great build by the way!

pakrat

I just got a chance to see some of the newer entries, so forgive me for the mass props.

@Stomptown I really love the finish/etch you've got there. Is that a hammered sorta sanding job on there? It looks beautiful and rustic.... very nice!

@Liquitone Both of your entries are top notch, but that Deluxe Stereo Vibe is just.... just.... I'm speechless.....

@Perrow Your pedal just looks fantastic! So clean and neat and sounds nice and nasty. I would love to hear it with some chords  ;D  +1 on the curvy layout too.

@thofmann Besides your build being just.... sick! The etch is so clean I had to really look close to see that it indeed was an etch. Umm.... it is etched, isn't it?

@LucifersTrip What can I say... that's one of the most original pedals I've ever seen. The enclosure, PTP wiring, monster caps, and wood? Really original ideas and the enclosure looks great. I'd love to have one of those to try with bass or even vox. Great job!

thofmann

No, its not etched   :o
Its a secret recipe I got from my grandma  :icon_mrgreen: she was a witch and tought me how to cook things so that substances stick to metal surfaces.

------- spoiler --------

Its toner transfer.
;)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Stomptown

@pakrat: I actually wet sanded the top (600 grit) with a small piece wrapped around an eraser. I sanded in a circular motion across the enclosure (very small circles) in rows to get it to look that way. I think the pitting also adds to the hammered effect that you are seeing. I personally love pitting when I etch, but this one came out more pitted than usual. I tried laser paper for the transfer for the first time (I usually use PNP Blue) so I'm still trying to figure out how to get it right. I am happy with the result though...

pakrat

@thofmann  Wow, it looks etched to me. Toner transfer, etch, it looks incredibly clean either way. Seriously, an amazing build!

@Stomptown That effect really adds to the finish, it looks bumpy even. I don't mind pitting either, unless I'm going for a clean look. In this case, the pitting adds to the look and I love it!

Perrow

Quote from: pakrat on August 31, 2013, 04:21:20 PM
@Perrow Your pedal just looks fantastic! So clean and neat and sounds nice and nasty. I would love to hear it with some chords  ;D  +1 on the curvy layout too.

Thanks for the kind words, sure, I can play some chords to (power chords at least):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20165528/Bemired%20Ikon%20Ten2.mp3

Warning: Music was hurt making that sound clip.

This was recorded using my V-Amp3, the first clip was recorded by leaning a cheap mic against the speaker grill of my Orange amp (Crush 20LDX). Borh setups as clean as I could get them (though a small amount of reverb on the V-Amp, just enough to take the "dead space" out of it).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

pakrat

Now that's service! Thanks a lot Perrow, it sounds every bit as good as I imagined, very vintage.

pinkjimiphoton

edit 2:

hi guys,

entrant: pink jimi photon
pedal name: photonic juergulator (yerg you later)

first off, let me state that i may need to be disqualified, which i am totally cool with. i have been on the road 4-5
nites a week for the last 6 weeks or so, and with all the other stuff going on, have been as busy as a one legged man in
an ass kicking contest. so... despite wanting to submit a valid entry, i feel i may have hosed myself, and here's why.

i cannot submit the exact build/layout. the schematic is right, but at the time i built this circuit, i was dicking around trying
to squeeze it on to a 10x10 piece of veroboard, so it's a little different from the schematic... on the schematic, it shows
the "tweak" control as originally envisioned. unfortunately when i built this, i was out of 1m pots. the stock perc is
750k, escobedo's is 1m, so i made it in the original schem as a 500k pot with a 470k resistor on the collector side, and
a 47k resistor on the base side of q2. so i used two 500k's in series, which gets the job done. it could be built any
number of ways, the 1m pot lets you tweak it in a bit more, and should work well with the values in my schematic. but
again, DISQUALIFICATION fodder, on mine, it's preset.

(EDIT: FWIW, I HAVE THE TWEAK CONTROL PRESET AT 414k, which i found to be THE sweetest spot.. with my particular components.. that's what it's set at in the video i posted taken earlier today. don't do what i did, if you build this, do the 500k pot and resistors, it's worth being able to tweak...again, i did this only cuz i was out of 1meg pots.)

i think the "percolate" control is cool. it changes the 91k/100k c-ground resistor of the pnp q1 to a 100k pot. on
the schematic, i made a mistake. oops. it should read 100k, not 50k.
anyways, the perc control is subtle, but lets you dial in the harmonics, and make 'em pop out some.

one more way disqualification may be necessary, is that i posted a demo of this mod, tho i didn't post the schematic
or layout or pics... just a SPTWPJP where you could hear the effect.

anyways, i believe the percolator control affects the gain of the pnp, and the tweak (aka focus) control affects the gain
of the npn. nice simple addition, to me, it seems worthy.

totally can change the reaction of the perc circuit.

so anyways... some pron:

some gut shots

the obligatory schematic

the vero layout (again, this is slightly different from what i built)

the original video of the mod to the perc/jerk

and finally, the actual pedal put thru some paces.

so....anyways... if you need to disqualify, i totally understand. sorry to drop a problem in the judges laps!!!
just too many irons in the fire, and i kinda dropped the ball.

rock the f**k on!! ;)

the vid/audeo is outta sync, too.....arrrrgh

who needs LSD? ;)

please excuse the wankage. been one of them days, this was about the 5th try at getting video... i "updated" the built in cyberlink software in my laptop, and it went payware on me. so did the webcam "freeware"... i couldn't get audio apparently without paying them...arrrgh....

anyways... now... once i get a chance... i can finally enjoy all the other entrees. thanks to all who participated, especially the judges for making it happen!!

EDIT 3:  too much coffee.....oooh, shiney!!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Perrow

Looking good there Jimi.

Couldn't help myself, here comes a little noodling with a Phase 90 after it :D

Don't think any music was hurt this time actually, I love a fuzz going into a phaser.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20165528/Bemired%20Ikon%20Ten%20Noodle%20With%20Phaser.mp3

Don't think I've said it before, but all recordings are with my Xaviere LP-copy, bridge pickup.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

pinkjimiphoton

that sounds boss pelle!! i too love a phaser after a fuzz. hell, one before, one AFTER, even!! seriously... try it!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pakrat

Great job Jimi, I'm glad you got it done in time. Sounds very cool, I think I might have to build one of those.......

Perrow

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 31, 2013, 07:09:40 PM
that sounds boss pelle!! i too love a phaser after a fuzz. hell, one before, one AFTER, even!! seriously... try it!! ;)

I'm just a bit shy on phasers, might have to build one.

Here's my recording setup for the day. Someone in the household complained about me recording with the mike at midnight  ::) So I had to break out the V-Amp, connected to my computer using the cable from Rocksmith  :)

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Perrow on August 31, 2013, 08:08:40 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 31, 2013, 07:09:40 PM

I'm just a bit shy on phasers, might have to build one.

Here's my recording setup for the day. Someone in the household complained about me recording with the mike at midnight  ::) So I had to break out the V-Amp, connected to my computer using the cable from Rocksmith  :)

i LOVE my v-amp(ire) it's saved the day many times!!!!

to get an idea of what it sounds like, try sweeping a wah backwards from the sweep of the phase 90... it can get pretty sick!! the wah is close to the same kinda sound.. it's cool, the first phaser tickles the fuzz and makes it create even more harmonics, and the second one phases the living hell out of it.

great. another idea to build... the phaserfuzzphaser... ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

jkokura

The first of my two entries. Yes, it's last minute, but I'm pretty stoked to be allowed to participate here! DIY Stompboxes has had a big impact on my life as a DIYer, and I've been glad to both give back and also celebrate 10 years of awesome people doing DIY simultaneously. Thanks to Aron, and to the rest of the team and community here - you're really the best!

Name of entrant: jkokura
Pedal name: Ezekiel 37
Tell us a bit about the pedal: This is a build of the Madbean project, Boneyard (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Boneyard/docs/Boneyard.pdf), and also includes a PCB of my own design, which incorporates a buffer into the Bypass switch. The Buffer is of the Op Amp variety, and is always in the circuit, being in line before the switch.

This build has been a labour of several months, mostly I both worked ideas for the enclosure. The enclosure is a silver 125BB from Pedal Parts Plus, whom always gives me the best service when it comes to enclosures. The graphics are printed by a Printing house located on Vancouver Island, and is black lettering on a clear vinyl decal stock. The graphics, are a full text of Ezekiel 37 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+37&version=ESV), hence the name. The Chapter focuses on a prophecy which describes a field of skeletons, a 'boneyard' if you will.

The controls are simple: (R-L) Volume, Tone, Lo-Gain, Hi-Gain). One of the best features of this pedal is the hi/lo switch, which chooses between two pots for the gain levels. This makes the pedal versatile, and certainly feels much like hitting channel two, or a high gain mode on an amp.

As for the sound, I can't say how it compares to playing a real Marshall. However, I do feel it sounds really good, more amp-like than any other 'marshall in a box' pedal I've ever played. I really like this pedal, and I can see me using it, even though I rarely need anything that's very high gain. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Pictures of the pedal (inside and out):

And the Guts.

Audio/video:

Additional Details:

Aside from using a Boneyard PCB, from Madbean, I also used a buffered bypass board I created myself. The Schematic and Overlay are here below:

Thanks very much for looking at all this, I hope very much that you've enjoyed!

Jacob

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: pakrat on August 31, 2013, 07:38:35 PM
Great job Jimi, I'm glad you got it done in time. Sounds very cool, I think I might have to build one of those.......

thanks so much pakrat!! it may not be much, but it sounds pretty good. works GREAT pushing....or being pushed by....fuzz!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

wow....looking at these entrys.... holy $#17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the intitial shot across the bow was frightening, but holy cow.... you guys are amazing...thank you!!!!

my brain is melting... ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

jkokura

And Entry number two!

Name of entrant: jkokura
Pedal name: Zeropoint Delay
Tell us a bit about the pedal: This is a build of the Madbean project, Zeropoint Super Deluxe (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/ZeroPoint/ZeroPointSDX.pdf). I've chosen this as my second build mostly because of the aesthetic appeal this pedal has for me. I rarely get to build pedals for myself alone, but both this entry, and the previous one, are ones I've wanted to build a long time.

Again, this pedal is built from a Madbean PCB, inside an enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus finished in their "Snuffler Water" finish. It's gorgeous. It's also been labeled using the afore mentioned Vancouver Island Printing House doing up a Decal for me, after I designed the graphics in Inkscape. The graphics are the outline of a generic city, which fits well with the font I used, which also features a cityscape.

Talk about controls! The Zeropoint has many: (R-L, Top-Bottom) Path controls an element of the repeats giving the potential for a clearer first repeat, Modulation turns the modulation on and off, Ghost creates a second feedback loop which leads to some crazy repeat patterns. Rate and Depth control the speed and intensity of the modulation, Mix controls the level of the repeats in comparison to the dry signal, while Repeats and Delay are dedicated to controling the length and number of echos. Finally, there is a rotary switch gives the option between four distinctly different sounds to the repeats. These options I've labelled as Digital, Shimmer, Tape and Analog. Also, the PCB allows for a 'slam' switch, or a runaway repeats switch. Pressing this footswitch makes the repeats go into 'noise' mode quite quickly.

I really like the sound of it. It gives a fairly accurate representation of what the PT2399 can do, but it's genuinely a useful delay, not just a toy. I can totally see myself seeing this live, and despite some tweaking I'd like to do to help get a bit more control on the repeats, I think this pedal is pretty darn amazing. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Pictures of the pedal (inside and out):

And the Guts.

Audio/Video:

Additional Details:

I used a Bypass board on this. It's literally nothing special, just a switch PCB with connections for wires so I can avoid having to solder wires directly to a switch. It also has pads to mount an LED. If this is needed, I will post the schem and layout, but it's the same as every one out there, just tailored to my needs.

Thanks for looking! I Hope you've enjoyed!

Jacob

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'