About to build my first pedal, looking for advice about overly-ambitious goals..

Started by abenfVA, May 25, 2013, 03:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenfVA

Not sure this is the right place to post this but I'm gonna anyways. So I'm gonna try to build this: http://www.deviever.com/fx/karaoke-party/ . The schematic is on her website and it's really simple. So now I'm thinking I want to try something ridiculous that probably won't work: I'd like to build a simple trem circuit into the fuzz. My intuitions tell me that putting one right after the other and throwing them in the same box probably won't work out very well. So how do I do it? Also, seeing as I know jacksh*t about circuitry past Physics class, any elucidations on the practical science behind both fuzzes and trems would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

smallbearelec

Hi--

IMO, you are correct that building two effects into the same enclosure as a first build would be overly ambitious. I would suggest that you build One and go through the (almost inevitable) pain of getting it working first. That process will give you some idea of the slope of your learning curve and how you want to get from where you are to where you want to go.

Do you have a known-to-work layout for the KP? I agree that it is simple enough for a first build. However, creating your own board layout from a schem is not a beginner-level job. Again, IMO, your first build should be done from a layout that has been vetted by experienced people. You'll get other replies here that will suggest possible confidence-building designs.

When you have your first build under your belt, you'll be in better shape to build a trem and then make your distortion and the trem work together if you want.

Happy Construction!
SD

abenfVA

Hey,
I mapped out a schematic mostly just to try and understand the process better. I've seen a verified layout and it's similar to the one I did. I might just end up using the verified layout. Thanks for the advice! Do you have any recommended beginner projects you've found useful in gaining experience?

PRR

> tell me that putting one right after the other and throwing them in the same box probably won't work out very well.

It will; *after* you build a single-unit.

Say I want to play a medley. Say I'm a beginner. Common sense says to learn "Stairway to Heaven", then "Smoke on the Water", *then* work on "Smoking Stairway to Heavenly Water".

> The schematic is on her website
http://www.deviever.com/fx/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/KP.jpg

> any elucidations on the practical science

Doesn't R.G. have a site? You should digest it same as you would digest the score for "Stairway....".

This KP is just an amplifier. Little signal in comes out big. Any amplifier, if the output is too big, will distort. A one-transistor fuzz is not the hairiest thing around (usually we use two transistors to get for-sure FUZZ), but IS simple, does demonstrate concepts, teaches you how to make-find-fix errors, and is musically useful.

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Welcome to the forum!!!  :)

You might want to start with the beginners project here:  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=6.0

Also, Rob/deadastronaut has a fuzz that he has recommended to beginners (sorry I don't have it, but maybe he'll see this and provide it).
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mark Hammer

Although connections within circuits can be a source of difficulty for not only beginners but even the advanced, much of the trouble that newbies experience comes from the connections between the board and the stuff mounted to the chassis.  People solder to the wrong jack terminals, the wrong power jack terminals, or they overheat their stmpswitches and cause problems inside, or burn out LEDs, or maybe they just don't leave enough room for stuff.

My advice would be to build the KP ito a small standard box like a Hammond 1590B.  You'll need a hole for each pot, a hole for the stompswitch, and maybe a hole for a status LED, in addition to an external power jack.  All of that can be done without impeding use of that same chassis later on for another different circuit.

Get the hang of wiring stuff up first, live with the circuit for a while, and then plan out your KP+tremolo combo, and once you have it planned out (including how you want the switching to work), score yourself a suitable box and build your 2-in-1.  You can then re-use your initial box for something else.

Keep in mind that all advice offered here, and by others, has the goal of getting you to working usable pedals faster.

LucifersTrip

hey,

welcome...my 2 cents:

1) definitely breadboard first
2) the beginner project mentioned above is simple, but the KP looks even simpler
3) use a larger box than a 1590B for a first project. The smaller box, the tighter the quarters and the more difficulty you'll have wiring
4) building a trem in a separate box will give you the choice of putting it after ANY distortion you build...and hopefully you'll have enough fun to do more that just the KP
5) This is one of the easiest trems
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/jordan-vico-vibe.jpg

good luck
always think outside the box

peterg

If you want real simple try the Bazz Fuss. It has 5 components so it's not too much to get your head around. It was my first project with no experience in electronics before hand. I built 5 more before moving on the the next circuit. Look up "Tonefiend diy club project 1" I didn't build the circuit described but it's a great tutorial on wiring, soldering, components, box assembly, etc. 

Good luck.

Jederino

^ you got some help from some of the big names in DIY, do what they say.  Lol

abenfVA

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! Was gonna try to get started on the breadboard tonight but found out I misread the packaging on some of the resistors I bought.