Boss Flanger BF-3 not working - Help -

Started by maiochine, December 03, 2017, 02:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maiochine

Hey guys,

I have a Boss BF-3 Flanger that my friend brought me because it is not working anymore. When everything is connected I press down the switch and no LED light comes on neither any sound from the guitar through the amplifier.

I tried with a DC power supply and a battery and the results are the same.

I opened it and I did a quick continuity test with my multimeter to check the wiring of the jack and the switch as well and it seems like everything is in order.

How can I proceed with my checks in order to pin point the problem in your opinion ? Is there any common thing that happens to this type of pedal ?

Thank you in advance.

Mario

Mark Hammer

maiochine

Hi Mark, thanks for replying quickly. Sorry but I don't know what you mean by your question.

Can you clarify yourself please ?

Thanks

Mark Hammer

Sure.  I simply mean that much of the "usual" trouble-shooting guidance offered here won't apply.  That doesn't mean it is irreparable, but stuff like a busted clock crystal is not exactly the sort of thing one tests with a multimeter.

thermionix

Getting nothing at all suggets a good possibility that the pedal was damaged by reverse-polarity power being applied at some point, essentially cutting off power to everything when certain power supply components got fried (filter cap, protection diode).  Being a digital pedal suggests that several other major components were likely damaged by the reverse polarity power also.  Could be cheaper to replace the pedal than repair it, even if you already knew exactly which components suffered damage.

maiochine

Okay guys I really appreciated your advises and once again thank you for the help.

Mark Hammer

We have described the worst-case scenarios.  That doesn't necessarily mean that some of the usual sorts of problems might not apply.

For instance, does the pedal use the standard Boss-style flip-flop circuit to bypass the otherwise digital circuit?