Phaser: Classic VTX

Started by liquids, July 16, 2013, 09:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquids

Just wanted to share a bit for those interested in phasers:

The Peavey Classic VTX is an old 'hybrid' design not entirely unlike the Music Man Amps.  I got one for cheap, and it has a phaser built in.
I'm not a HUGE phaser fan (more of a univibe-style phaser/phase 45 user).  I do like phasers, but I got the amp in a condition and for a purpose that hasn't effectively caused me to mess with the phaser that much, but it did seem to sound good (if not tweakable), and others seem to like it.

Not sure it's been seen around here, but for the discerning eye, it's not hard to pick out in the schematic.  For now, found a direct link to a pdf here: http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/schematics/Peavey_VTX_Classic.pdf

Enjoy!
Breadboard it!

R O Tiree

"Firefox cannot find the server at shadowstorm.com"
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Mark Hammer

I can't raise a schem either.  But I can get a user manual from the Peavey support site, and the flow chart indicates that the phaser comes near last before the power amp, which means that it is applying those notches to the clipped signal, which may account for why liquids finds it appealing.

The SS front-end, tube power section, 2x12 Classic was my first "good" amp.  It had a bunch of nice features for the money at the time, and it may have been an excellent amp, but the speakers drove me nuts.  They had two or three different personalities, that would come out depending on the volume setting.  Practice at one level, and when you get to gigging volumes, everything you had learned to set your tone controls for was WRONG.  With a change from whatever they used for speakers, circa 1974, it may have been an excellent-sounding amp.  And the addition of phasing and chorus (at a later date) may have made it a great all-round gigging unit.  But those speakers!  :icon_rolleyes:

liquids

website works for me...

google this - "Peavey_VTX_Classic.pdf site:www.shadowstorm.com"
Breadboard it!

liquids

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 16, 2013, 11:07:49 AM
I can't raise a schem either.  But I can get a user manual from the Peavey support site, and the flow chart indicates that the phaser comes near last before the power amp, which means that it is applying those notches to the clipped signal, which may account for why liquids finds it appealing.

The SS front-end, tube power section, 2x12 Classic was my first "good" amp.  It had a bunch of nice features for the money at the time, and it may have been an excellent amp, but the speakers drove me nuts.  They had two or three different personalities, that would come out depending on the volume setting.  Practice at one level, and when you get to gigging volumes, everything you had learned to set your tone controls for was WRONG.  With a change from whatever they used for speakers, circa 1974, it may have been an excellent-sounding amp.  And the addition of phasing and chorus (at a later date) may have made it a great all-round gigging unit.  But those speakers!  :icon_rolleyes:

Interesting. I have a speaker-less cab from the 2x12 unit I got - all I wanted was a chassis/head for what I'm doing, so it was cheap, and no harm in cannibalizing it....
Can always put in 'real' speakers if I want.  Apparently someone else on craigslist (and/or the seller) wanted the speakers, or they were blown or something...who knows.
Gonna try and get my contractor-friend's help to build a simple head-cab with hardware-mega-store cheapo boards I have in abundance, his circ saw, plate joiner, and some glue.  Maybe even some wood stain.  :D  Functions for now.

Any other circuit utilize the 40101 optocouplers?
Breadboard it!

R O Tiree

IE cannot find www.shadowstorm either.

stormshadow, on the other hand, exists, but I get "Page not found"
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Quackzed

fwiw the peavey heritage vtx amps also had the phaser. i had one when i was younger -my first 'real' guitar amp.it was nice sounding as phasers go. did the 'wind' slow phase stuff really well, nice smooth sweep, and no weird resonant spots on the sweep. iirk it didnt go very fast, but did have a good amount of depth.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

liquids

Okay, I scanned it in 'landscape,' created a pdf, and put it in the gallery...

it's here for now: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=49408&g2_GALLERYSID=5d302e4f4a814f9a0602fc611850a42e

I was checking out the phaser, and honestly am not a fan...I would probably change some caps, and the LFO waveform...still, probably a good design and easy to use 2 dual-vactrols.  Probably amazing if you are more into phasers than I am. =] Regeneration/feedback could also be tweakable, I'm sure.   
Breadboard it!