Author Topic: Mounting guts in the enclosure  (Read 6816 times)

gnort_2

Mounting guts in the enclosure
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:40 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm mounting my npn boost into a 1590b enclosure. It's a tight fit and there are a few parts (one of the pot lugs and a few of the jack lugs) that are dangerously close to rubbing up against the enclosure once installed.  I assume I should wedge some foam tape or something in between the parts and the case?

What type of tape (or something else) would you suggest?

Does the outer case of the potentiometer(the round bit with the label on it) also need to be insulated from touching the enclosure?

Thanks

bluebunny

Re: Mounting guts in the enclosure
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm mounting my npn boost into a 1590b enclosure. It's a tight fit and there are a few parts (one of the pot lugs and a few of the jack lugs) that are dangerously close to rubbing up against the enclosure once installed.  I assume I should wedge some foam tape or something in between the parts and the case?

What type of tape (or something else) would you suggest?

Does the outer case of the potentiometer(the round bit with the label on it) also need to be insulated from touching the enclosure?

Thanks

If the parts don't touch, then you're OK.  Check with leads plugged in (the contacts on the jack sockets move when there's a lead plugged in).  You can insulate things like pot lugs with heatshrink - check out some of the gut shots in the Pictures thread for examples (not mine - I rarely do it!).  Otherwise, any electrical tape should be OK.  But make sure it's not actually gonna get repeatedly chafed, otherwise it'll wear through.  If you're a guitarist (probable!), then you may have to hand those plastic envelopes that your strings come in.  I find these useful for cutting up and putting on insulation duty.  They're semi-rigid, easily cut, and if you fold them, they stay folded.  Handy for tucking between parts that are threatening to get too close.  And don't worry about your pot case: unless you've explicitly soldered something to the case, it's not connected to anything else.  It'll form a little "screen" around the body of the pot when it gets mounted in the (presumably grounded, metal) enclosure).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:15:00 AM »
Check out the main forum - for Sugru! I'm going to try it!

Aron

mistahead

• Awesome!
  • I don't have a shame gland... fortunately.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
PVA glue the inside of the enclosure along the parts you are worries that things will touch.

Cheapest way to get a mostly-permanent, resin-like, protective layer.

Guess who is crap at shoving things into enclosures...  :icon_redface:

Thecomedian

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »
I use solid core wire so that it creates positive resistance when I push the circuit in, keeping it away from the mounted parts, and then just put electrical tape on the inside of the bottom where it rests, for now. If I were going to sell a pedal, I'd use stranded wire and that resin stuff, unless I wanted it to be moddable by someone else (or myself), then I'd go with foam or some other buffer that isn't "permanent".
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.