Mutron Flanger dissection.

Started by digi2t, July 16, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

@Larry

Noticed that the Ground plane is continuous all the way around the PCB. Might want to separate it at an ideal place to avoid a loop.

Thoughts??
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 06, 2013, 04:05:48 PM
@Larry

Noticed that the Ground plane is continuous all the way around the PCB. Might want to separate it at an ideal place to avoid a loop.

Thoughts??

Hey GL, thanks for the heads up,

I always make a continuous ground plane and have never had a problem. There are quite a few commercial designs that do this as well. (Off of the top of my head....Ibanez AD-900, ADA Flanger)

If there's an issue with the prototype I'll break out my Exacto knife.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Quote from: digi2t on September 06, 2013, 03:45:59 PM

I don`t see the slot for the shutter card though, or will that be added later.

Dino,

It looks as if you've been a bit immersed in that Guild monster.

There's no slot in this board. There is a slot in the pedal control board.

Due to the arrangement of the shutter assembly, I had to make a pedal control LED/LDR board, and a main board.
Two separate boards.

The Morley board/shutter assembly made it impossible to add pots into the mix. There wasn't enough clearance underneath the board and the board was too far off of the enclosure to use "Rat" style through board pots.

I ended up flipping the input and output jacks upside down in the enclosure from how Morley oriented them.
The trace side of the new board will be visible when you remove the bottom cover of the enclosure. The component side is facing toward the pedal. Does this make sense?  
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

digi2t

QuoteThere's no slot in this board. There is a slot in the pedal control board.

Due to the arrangement of the shutter assembly, I had to make a pedal control LED/LDR board, and a main board.
Two separate boards.

Ah... I see says the blinded by the Guild man.  :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

StephenGiles

Just settled down to this fascinating thead whilst my wife is having her massage at our Spanish hotel - would you believe that it's rainingtoday!  A large party of Icelandics are having early lunch, some of whom look at least 7 feet tall!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

digi2t

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 07, 2013, 06:46:26 AM
Just settled down to this fascinating thead whilst my wife is having her massage at our Spanish hotel - would you believe that it's rainingtoday!  A large party of Icelandics are having early lunch, some of whom look at least 7 feet tall!

Would any of them happen to know of a suitable replacement LDR for this project?

Well... you know never know, right?  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

jdub

:o Man, Larry...incredible work, just top notch.  Well done, indeed.  I salute your ingenuity, not to mention your tenacity!  One question: will any Morley pedal enclosure work, like, say, a Little Alligator volume?
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

StephenGiles

Quote from: digi2t on September 07, 2013, 07:21:32 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on September 07, 2013, 06:46:26 AM

Would any of them happen to know of a suitable replacement LDR for this project?

Well... you know never know, right?  :icon_mrgreen:

I doubt it very much!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jdub on September 07, 2013, 09:24:23 AM
:o Man, Larry...incredible work, just top notch.  Well done, indeed.  I salute your ingenuity, not to mention your tenacity!  One question: will any Morley pedal enclosure work, like, say, a Little Alligator volume?

That's the same enclosure/pedal I have set aside for this project.  ;)

I don't see any reason it WON'T work. The basic parts layout is identical (jacks, power plug, etc)

Might have to modify the shutter a bit but the rest should be cut-n-paste  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 07, 2013, 09:59:12 AM

That's the same enclosure/pedal I have set aside for this project.  ;)

I don't see any reason it WON'T work. The basic parts layout is identical (jacks, power plug, etc)

Might have to modify the shutter a bit but the rest should be cut-n-paste  ;D

GL,

Can you verify the width dimension of the Little alligator Volume enclosure?
Morley lists the width as 5.88 (149.35 mm) but I have a measurement of 5.62 (142.75 mm).

I have hand drawn outer dimensions of the Optical Volume which I'll transpose to Visio and post.

armdnrdy

jdub

QuoteCan you verify the width dimension of the Little alligator Volume enclosure?
Morley lists the width as 5.88 (149.35 mm) but I have a measurement of 5.62 (142.75 mm).

I wonder if they are including the in and out jack nuts in their total width measurement.  I can measure mine when I get home from work.
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

armdnrdy

Quote from: jdub on September 07, 2013, 01:59:07 PM
QuoteCan you verify the width dimension of the Little alligator Volume enclosure?

I wonder if they are including the in and out jack nuts in their total width measurement.  I can measure mine when I get home from work.

Ahhh.....Look at the brain on John!

Good observation!

The original board is out of my Morley enclosure....but I'm sure that's what the 5.88 measurement is all about. Jacks!

Govmnt_Lacky

@Larry

I have the Morley Little Alligator (with the Minimum Volume pot and LED) and my measurements are spot on with your diagram.

Assuming that the little circle in the lower right corner is the LED and not the pot  :-\

armdnrdy

Yeah,

It's the LED.

What is the measurement from center of the pot to the bottom of the enclosure and center of the pot to the side?

That's where the "pedal" footswitch goes on the Mutron retrofit design. There's a bit of wiggle room.....but not much.

armdnrdy

Spent the day adding finishing touches to the main board and reworked the pedal LED/LDR board.

We're getting closer!

The holes with no traces are where the "effect" and "pedal" LEDs mount. (on the trace side of the board)
The LED leads run across the component side to the LED pads and are soldered on the trace side. (just like on the Morley boards)

Govmnt_Lacky

@Larry

Is there any way you could incorporate the Stereo style of Neutrik jacks? They are a bit more accessible then a standard mono jack.

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 07, 2013, 11:47:47 PM
@Larry

Is there any way you could incorporate the Stereo style of Neutrik jacks? They are a bit more accessible then a standard mono jack.

The mono jack that I'm using is a NMJ4HCD2. The stereo jack that your referring to is the NMJ6HCD2.........Correct?

The stereo jack can be easily modified to a mono jack. They are the same body with the same footprint.

Mono:

Stereo:

There is a small dimple on the metal part of the ring and ring switch connections. Push the dimple in with a screw driver, take out both the ring and ring switch components (the middle ones) and you now have a mono jack.

You can also simplify things by just clipping off the middle pins.  :icon_wink:

armdnrdy

I just finished making the Piher N6-L50TOC-103 part in Eagle.

Moved some things around on the board and......we have trace side adjustable trimmers.

This will be much better for set up adjustments!

Govmnt_Lacky

@Larry

Taking another look at your main board layout, the In/Out jack(s) Grounding scheme looks funky. Where exactly do the In and Out jacks find the Ground for the Rings/Sleeves?

I see they are tied to some of the ICs and some resistors but, I do not see where they are tied to the Ground plane  ???