easy pedal smooth mod

Started by Striker Amplification, July 19, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I think we are going in the wrong direction here. I refuse to start trying to figure this stuff out unless you guys tell me whether you took the time to break in your IC or your power cable.

QuoteWhat I've Learned About Power Cords
--Yes, they make a difference. This difference is on par with (and can be slightly greater than) the differences aftermarket interconnects (ICs) can make. If you can't hear the differences between ICs, it is doubtful you will hear the differences between power cords either.

-- I suspect that the reason power cords seem to effect the sound more than ICs is due to the fact that they appear to actually impact the way the component produces the sound, where ICs only affect the way they pass the existing signal on to the next component. Therefore power cables can influence the sound in a more fundamental way.

--They require more break-in than ICs, and break-in effects are much more dramatic than with ICs. Try not to rush to judgment.

--It's even harder to find a good power cord than IC. There is greater variability in the sound and performance of cords than ICs.

--Many power cords giveth and then taketh away. They offer substantial gains in some areas, but can take away from key ingredients elsewhere. Or, short of actually harming the sound, they can fall short on some parameters relative to the tantalizing enhancements they provide in other areas. This effect appears to be a factor regardless of price.

--Power cords are even more component-dependent than interconnects. A power cord that does not show good compatibility with one component, may really shine with another.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/219202/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed

aron

I may start selling broken in ICs (TI4558). Not sure if one gig is enough - might have to use for 2 or 3. Will sell for a lot though.

GGBB

Quote from: aron on July 26, 2013, 01:05:56 PM
I think we are going in the wrong direction here. I refuse to start trying to figure this stuff out unless you guys tell me whether you took the time to break in your IC or your power cable.

QuoteWhat I've Learned About Power Cords
--Yes, they make a difference. This difference is on par with (and can be slightly greater than) the differences aftermarket interconnects (ICs) can make. If you can't hear the differences between ICs, it is doubtful you will hear the differences between power cords either.

-- I suspect that the reason power cords seem to effect the sound more than ICs is due to the fact that they appear to actually impact the way the component produces the sound, where ICs only affect the way they pass the existing signal on to the next component. Therefore power cables can influence the sound in a more fundamental way.

--They require more break-in than ICs, and break-in effects are much more dramatic than with ICs. Try not to rush to judgment.

--It's even harder to find a good power cord than IC. There is greater variability in the sound and performance of cords than ICs.

--Many power cords giveth and then taketh away. They offer substantial gains in some areas, but can take away from key ingredients elsewhere. Or, short of actually harming the sound, they can fall short on some parameters relative to the tantalizing enhancements they provide in other areas. This effect appears to be a factor regardless of price.

--Power cords are even more component-dependent than interconnects. A power cord that does not show good compatibility with one component, may really shine with another.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/219202/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed

I have no experience with power cords, but my system never sounded better than after I finally broke in my mpingo discs.  It took over 100 hours, but it was worth it.   :icon_wink:

(I used to work in that industry.  :icon_redface:)
  • SUPPORTER

aron

You realize some of this totally explains why some gigs are better than others. I think it's the multi-outlets. There is a HUGE market for an audiophile multi-outlet!

Derringer

OMG why is this thread still alive ?   (and nope .. i didn't bump it, it's at the top  :icon_biggrin:)

and my question was never answered ... how many mH are in the primary of that dang transformer!

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: aron on July 26, 2013, 04:48:36 PM
You realize some of this totally explains why some gigs are better than others. I think it's the multi-outlets. There is a HUGE market for an audiophile multi-outlet!

my amp gets brownest when the cooler cycles on at the bar... tone man. i can tell, i can tell...   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

J0K3RX

Quote from: Derringer on July 26, 2013, 05:22:15 PM
OMG why is this thread still alive ?   (and nope .. i didn't bump it, it's at the top  :icon_biggrin:)

Just spread a nice even layer of dookie and all sorts of strange things grow out of it... I said it was a plot by real pedal manufacturers to keep "would be" pedal builder busy snipe hunting while they make real $$ designing and selling their pedals.

Kinda something like this... No Harry! Don't look at the light!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQyEr-sg0
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

gulnare

Like this?

johnadon

Dang, gulnare! I would totally have missed this depressing thread if you hadn't given it an 8-month "bump".  ;)

But...... that link is hilarious. :-D I think. I'm questioning everything I think I know after reading the thread. And questioning some things I know I don't know. :-D

aron

After further contemplation about this whole scenario of good cables/chips over bad - I have found that we are looking at this entirely incorrectly.
We should be looking at the age of the scotch and not the price of the cord. A 15+ year old scotch makes my guitar sound and feel a lot better than the $150 cable ever will. In addition it is the age of the scotch that may make it "smoother".

Of course substitute scotch and year for soda/wine/whatever makes you happy!
(Of course not advocating drinking - so substitute anything else you want. MUST OF LEGAL AGE TO DRINK AND TEST THIS THEORY!)

johnadon

Personally, I think the parts count on a three-prong cable is way too high to justify, in light of the modest (at best) improvement in sound quality/safety. Please pass the scotch, cable, a pair of pliers and seat me by the nearest two-prong outlet.

pinkjimiphoton

@#$% that, just pass me the scotch br'ah  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

nice.

but to really bring the funk out, tequilla is the way to fly for me.... ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 27, 2014, 04:51:02 PM
nice.

but to really bring the funk drunk out, tequilla is the way to fly for me.... ;)

;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

pinkjimiphoton

yeppers, either way, it's fine by me..... and i gets my drunkfunk on in just a couple hours... my oldest's 22nd bday.

much tequilla is in order. i drink 'em doubled up with lime on the rocks. mmmmmm. makes my eyes red just thinkin' about it. don't try this at home..

slingin almost all stuff i made cuzza this place... so i raise this hypothetical cyber cup of meade to aron nelson for making this happen. and a heck of a cool, nice guy, to boot.  and everyone's that's come, and all that are gone and all yet to come and everyone under the sun who follows along and learns to roll their....errr... cobble their own stompboxes together.

yep. it's all about that sound that make ya smile and your pants too tite. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

We reserve the tequila for playing spoons with my wife's teacher buddies. Teachers are wild!  The loser of each round of has to drink a shot of tequila.   One poor girl kept losing and some of us had to take her shots for her. Funny how once you start losing, you get worse!

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Brymus

Quote from: nordine on July 26, 2013, 04:12:05 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 21, 2013, 08:35:47 PM
for all intents and purposes it's a choke as found on a tube amp. it saturates nicely usually.

or go 1:1 and isolate the output of the effect and the jack if you really want that transformer saturation sound.

could you expand more on that? isolation? cant figure it out, thanks
Here is a schematic using a transformer for "isolation" which is why they are often called "isolation" transformers or 1:1 transformers
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as007.pdf

The most hi jacked thread ever?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Brymus

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 26, 2013, 08:20:40 PM

my amp gets brownest when the cooler cycles on at the bar... tone man. i can tell, i can tell...   :icon_mrgreen:
Jimi I recently added voltage reduction to my last amp build and the EL84s really do get "browner" as you lower the voltage,around 70V on the plates sounds incredible to me. I like it best with just the power tubes scaled and around 250V on the pre amp.
Its like having a built in variac that doesn't fry everything.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience